Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Am I doing the warmups correctly?

When doing the lip rolls and other basic warmups and moving up the scales my voice wants to naturally break into falsetto at a certain point.  Should I add power and air to prevent this or allow it to break?  My thoughts are that I should add power and this is part of the overall conditioning process. Am I correct?

Comments

• sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    You don't want your voice to break that is for sure. To maintain chest voice you need to add more support and a little volume to get over the bump. Keep your throat open to Ah and keep the bright tone to your voice. To work on bridging between chest/head voice you need to pull back the volume from the start of the scale so that you can manage the passagio. 2 separate but parallel approaches.
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Also you want to cut back the amount of air in your tone. More air gives you the light breathy falsetto tone. Use less air by using a bright natural speaking tone, maintain this over the bridge. Yiu want clean clear full tone.
  • RoojamRoojam Member Posts: 9
    Allowing no break is what I figured was the intent.  

Thanks!  
  • RoojamRoojam Member Posts: 9
    Ah - what i am referring to is "bridging", like you mentioned "bridge", and I found Ken's discussion on my VOL 1 DVD under the Chapter Titled "Intro Into Building the Bridge".

This is such good stuff. I'm simply floored.