Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Tension in tonsil area. Yes I still have mine.

The sensation of tonsils swelling is what I experience when attempting certain songs that have extended passages of higher range songs that offer little opportunity for taking breaths. One song, Maroon 5's "One More Night", seems impossible to me to complete from beginning to end. Invariabily I get the sensation of my tonsils swelling until my throat is basically shut. This happens no matter how much attention I devote to staying relaxed and maintaining proper breath support.

Does the presence of tonsils present an additional challenge to singers?  Really I'm not looking for excuses, and I've never heard anyone discuss the presence, or lack thereof, of tonsils as a factor in singing ability, but this is where I experience my greatest challenge - swelling in the tonsil area.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

The presence of tonsils is neither a challenge nor a boost to a singer.  They just either are there or they aren't.  The swelling you are saying you get could be a reaction to tension or overuse of air or pressure.  You may just be susceptible to throat infections.  That would not be a good thing, but I'm not so sure it would be related to whether or not you have your tonsils.  If you have any concerns, a doctor, possibly an ear, nose, and throat doctor would be able to see what is going on with your issues.

The Maroon 5 tune you used as an example involves a very high, tight configuration and vocal placement.  If you try to sing with that kind of voice, you are going to have to keep it very small, or you're going to hurt your cords.  That voice is coming from a very small aperture.  It has to be light and small. You can't blast it out.

It would take a lot of support to counteract your natural tendency to push too much air through your cords on that sound.

Bob

• RoojamRoojam Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, Bob. I appreciate your wisdom. I was acutely concerned with the tonsil issue due to improperly filtering info I gleaned from the web.

I think my throat issues may be that I 'm still recovering from multiple sinus issues due to our cold cold weather here in Little Rock.

Re the Maroon 5 tune, I believe you are correct about the small aperture and keeping it small.  And another issue with that tune is that its cram packed with lyrics and he overdubbed himself coming in on top of himself which, unless there is help singing it live, there is no room left for breathing.  

ON another note - I've been religiously doing Ken's exercises for a mere two weeks and last night I performed solo for the first time in a month and the improvement was beyond even my expectations. Not just the improvement in the instrument itself but also the active knowledge of proper technique used in-the-moment (keep it open; mask; vowel modification; proper abdominal support!)  helped me have the most satisfying and comfortable solo gig, perhaps ever. And Ive been doing solo acoustic guitar/singing for 8 years now. It carred over into all aspects of the performance even including my ease at working the crowd, due to confidence.

I can't wait to see what the future holds!

Cheers!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

This is a great time of discovery for you, Roojam!

It gets better...

: ^ )

Bob