Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Hey Guys. What Would Be The Most Helpful Thing Here In The Forums We Can Add To Help You Grow?

Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
Hey Guys,

I'd like to know what you think we can do here at KTVA can do to best help you grow?

Please list whatever you want.

We are committed to helping you get there!

Let me know!!! :-)

-Ken

Comments

• bigbrotherbigbrother Pro Posts: 104
    its probably not doable... 
    imho, i think a regional get together where we can sing and help each other every few months.
    nothing official like a class... but a gathering where we sing to tracks and get help from each other.
    I know we are quite spread out, internationally hahaha. 
    But there may be a few places that are close enough to get a meet going.

just a thought... 
  • Johan_KaleviJohan_Kalevi Pro Posts: 171
    Hi Ken!

I scratched my head a bit on this one.  Your forum has got quite a lot - no, a LOT of endless resources.  Thanks for your commitment to your 'distance students'. :D

After a bit of scratching, all I could think of was something along the lines of a calendar-type tab (maybe associated to individual profiles?) where KTVA students could, voluntarily, update their practice schedules - and maybe make add some notes as to what they practiced that day, how long they practiced - something along those lines.

For old and new members alike, it could serve as a kind of inspiration (or even guidance) to improve and enhance our weekly practice (times/methods) etc...

All the best, Mr Coach!

Peace,

Johan
  • SteveKSteveK Pro Posts: 556
    all the videos gathered in one spot. per level but noone can post on so they stay top priority. with a posting level underneath them for questions.
    or maybe put as first post in volume section that pertains to video.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Steven, I will be gathering the videos for that very reason soon.  Currently the links to them are scattered by Category/Topic.  I will also start a videos section so you can go there, if you have the correct access level, to find any video appropriate to your student level.

Good suggestion.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bob

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    @ CGreen doing very well.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@Steven Kindig... and everybody else...

Check it out... Two New Categories.

One for PRO, one for All KTVA Students:  KTVA VIDEOS.

There ya go, Bro!

Bob

AWSOME thx for doing that. @highmtn

You're Welcome.

Good suggestion.  I've been intending to do that for a while and you got me up off of my good intentions!

; ^ )

Bob

@bigbrother

I like your idea.  It would just take people deciding to announce that they would like to get together with others at ______ date and ____ time at ______ location. 

Karaoke bars / open mic nights might be an ideal location, because everybody could get together to meet and greet, and then get up on stage and sing!

These could be happening all around the world.

Not bad!

Bob

@Johan_Kalevi

Do you have maybe a rough draft of what you are suggesting, so that it could be embellished upon by other KTVAers?

Plant a seed and see if anything sprouts up!

Bob

• Johan_KaleviJohan_Kalevi Pro Posts: 171
    Hi @Bob,

As of now, I'm not really sure the best way it could be implemented/used.  Something along the lines of a calendar which could be updated/uploaded where fellow KTVA'ers could see/learn from others' practice schedules.

I don't really know what kind of tool(s) Vanilla forums has in that regard.

Is there any kind of monthly calendar 'thingy'? :-)

If not, could any others suggest/propose how we could accomplish something along these lines?

Peace,

Johan
  • TheJankoRevivalTheJankoRevival Pro Posts: 23
    More difficult scales like those in Level 3 and the Head Voice training. I actually find it fun to try to shape my voice to the more complicated patterns. Really helps open the voice too!!
  • AsheshAshesh Pro Posts: 31
    I agree with Janko. some difficult scales would broaden our understanding of music as well :)

• a.harrisona.harrison Pro Posts: 6

Hi Ken,

As a newbie here and just starting out I feel that terminology would be a great help. I've been online studying terminology and haven't found a connection to that here.

Many thanks!

"LAH>>>LAH>>>LAH

• JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    Would be great to have an annual weekend or week long 'conference and workshops'. Probably in CA. Those that are interested will fly in.
  • JosephJoseph Pro Posts: 260
    Seeing that volume 3 is the lifelong chest stretching program, it would be great to have a 'new' version 2, with different exercise, scales, sliders and potentially a couple more semitones on the top end. Just to mix it up and keep it fresh.

Nice suggestions, @a.harrison, and @joseph

Keep 'em coming, folks. 

Ken is listening!

Bob

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    edited March 2014
    Thanks you guys, I actually have some of these suggestions in my new arsenal of tools for singing so it's a good confirmation to see them here.

I am trying to come up with a fair way to implement them so people doing the course don't feel like they have to pay and arm and a leg, but that I don't get stuck with the bill either. For example:

I have just completed extensive training sessions walking Gabriela and Adam through the entire course (as well as much more students training sessions for both dudes and divas).

I flew Gabriela here from the Czech Republic and Adam from Australia and put them up for about 10 days each to accomplish this. (which provided for about 6 hours of killer tutorials and song "work up" demonstrations along with some dynamite breathing and pitch videos, matering the mystery of mixed voice, singing with distortion etc. I will be rolling out as well along with breaking the barrier of primo passaggio which was referenced above in the F#4 question)

I am considering a "subscription" with a reasonable fee where I can add all this content and do bi monthly webinars for people doing the course as well as group workshops for people to all come together and ask questions and learn together. (I'm thinking about $19.95 per month for you guys here who are already enrolled and $39.00 per month for newcomers).

I also have just bought as place in Hawaii where I am planning on having intensive training sessions there as well (both personal and group conferences).

The reason I don't refer to a ton of technical terms (and create my own terms) is that often these terms don't relate.

Let me give you an example:

If I used the term "Vocal Fry", A,  I don't agree with it's approach nor it as a safe term to use.

If I use the therm "curbing" I also don't agree with it's term or those who use it. (and still never see anyone singing on their web sites who claim these intimate tribal knowledge terms)

I often refer to bel canto terminology however even there, most bel canto pedagogues cringe at the thought of any kind of chest compression because they don't understand it, so I can only terms that truly apply. (I hope that makes sense :-)

Please keep your ideas coming, I value them and look forward to making this the best possible legit learning experience available.
  • hcj1967hcj1967 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 15
    edited April 2014
    Some of my recommendations/thoughts about Ken's planned subscription service:

Offer Tiers - Pay Monthly (Automatic) vs Pay Yearly Upfront (Discount) 
    Intro Tiers - First month to try at a discounted price and if you don't cancel regular price from there forward
    + Bundles - include special pricing for bundles like webcam lessons or something else - SUBSCRIBER ONLY SPECIALS via email. 
    Special pricing for subscribers on services such as webcam/personal lessons
    Refer a friend program and if S/he subscribes you get something.  
    Over time expanding to Third party offers from partners you choose that like you offer incredible value (The sky is the limit here - Can cover any area from your propack even supplements with supersaver coupons/codes)
    Yearly contest - KTVA students applying KTVA techniques to original or cover songs - Winner gets some prize...maybe even posting of their video/song on KTVA or personal 1 hour webcam lesson with Ken.

Honestly, I am so glad my best friend recommended you (he is my bass player and not a singer - He just happened to see one of your KTVA videos and said HE seems like the read deal) BOY was he right! Glad I didn't spend a dime on other lessons out there. 

I will gladly and proudly subscribe.

Thanks for the suggestions, @hcj1967.

Ken will be looking at these. For clarification, could you expand on "Over time expanding to Third party offers from partners you choose that like you offer..."

Everybody, Ken is preparing to roll this out fairly soon.  This posting has been up for a while.  The new subscription service will be a new level of learning from KTVA.  Like I've said before, Ken is listening.

Bob

edited April 2014
    Sure - Basically Ken selects third party partners as part of his business model that offer real value & compliments his singing course - leveraging what Ken knows works that others have already done & everyone wins (he saves time & $, makes $ but saves us $ too on health supplements, CD's or DVD's Ken specifically selects for his students...
    Guitar Center or other discounts to buy Gear he recommends for performing, recording...
    Discounts on Studio time @ Costa Mesa or other studios around the US & Globe.
    The possibilities are endless!
    Clarification on Try before you buy subscription @ $9.95 or $19.95/month - Limit access to some content for obvious reasons.
  • twelvedesigntwelvedesign Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 239
    Will this subscription include all the KTVA DVD content as well, or is it something extra?
    edited May 2014

Some, but not all of the DVD content is included.  For example, portions of the beginning lessons in the Volume One DVD are included.

Far more content than is in the DVD's is expanded upon in the subscription lessons.  The subscription lessons contain lots of application detail that there simply isn't time in a DVD format to include.

This is a growing program that Ken is adding to all the time.  Ken will be listening to what the students have to say and expanding the lessons accordingly.

The DVD's are excellent foundational tools, still serve a solid purpose, and can take you where no other DVD/download can.  I would still want to have the DVD/Download information as the core of my training.  At this point in time the Subscriptions are intended to augment the DVD program, not replace it.  Because some may do the subscription program without the DVD's, some foundational information is included.

Together the DVD's and the subscription program form an expanding, ongoing program that will help to deepen your understanding of how to develop your voice.  With the discount Ken is planning to offer for the existing students, it's going a really affordable investment in your vocal future.

Bob

• davo165davo165 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 62
    Hi Ken, I think the forum is awesome it's such a help to b able to ask questions and get Answers from pros like u guys. I Rkn u should just travel the world and give seminaars to us , u can come to Australia Mate, you can stay at my joint!! ;)

@JeffDenmark,

I think this is the current link to that information:

http://kentamplinvocalacademy.com/private-lesson/

Bob

• dallas1209dallas1209 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    I see I'm a little late to the party here, but I would really benefit from a "search" function on the forum. Apologies if someone brought this up already.
  • twelvedesigntwelvedesign Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 239
    @highmtn, is subscription based content still in the works?
  • josterlaujosterlau Member Posts: 7
    I believe Ken should consider every possible scenario before going on with the subscription based content so that he is not exploited by unscrupulous individuals.

I am a software developer and the company I work for coaches business owners about how to manage various aspects of their businesses. Once a subscription is purchased, the customer has access to our whole video library. Unfortunately there have been some customers who purchased 1 month subscription, downloaded all of the material and gone away and stopped paying for the content as they already had it.

Maybe have a system whereby each particular lesson requires you to pass a test before having access to the next lesson. Or even Ken providing say a 10 minute consultation included with the subscription after 12 months to encourage people to stay.
    It's not presently part of the plan.
  • NetoNeto 2.0 PRO Posts: 8
    how can you achieve or find that resonance..? my voice specially in exercises sounda "clunky" not harmonious
  • ReneaRenea Member, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 23
    I dont come on here much kinda confusing so I just send demo get ur feedback
    I'm sure one day I can afford the course I'll have a better understanding when I can get ur course until hen, I hear what ur saying but I'm just figuring how throat feels when I sing w him I do the exercises in the 3 videos but would u consider doing like 3-5 minute video couple different exercises to help like 2 exercises for chest, for head, for mix, renounce etc.
    Alot if ur demos I listen close and and the open throat hoe changes when I sing w u and 3 exercises is what ive been doing, but I'm stuck. Thank u
  • HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246
    HI

I thought maybe once a month you could get a song and ask everyone to have a go at that same song and post there efforts on here if they want to . Just an idea and a bit of fun.

Thanks

Human Robot
  • ElaraElara Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 327
    edited January 2021
    @HumanRobot We have that! :) Check out the assignments in the Collaborative Demos section.

Edit: I'm sorry, that section is in the student area of the forums, which you don't currently have access to. But the idea is good, and the assignments have been running successfully for a couple of years. :)
  • HumanRobotHumanRobot Member Posts: 246
    Elara said:

@HumanRobot We have that! :) Check out the assignments in the Collaborative Demos section.

Edit: I'm sorry, that section is in the student area of the forums, which you don't currently have access to. But the idea is good, and the assignments have been running successfully for a couple of years. :)

hi

oops - really sorry - I didn't realze

Human Robot x
  • JonirockstarJonirockstar 2.0 PRO Posts: 13
    edited February 2022
    A section for singers over 50, especially female singers over 50 who have been having vocal problems after menopause (reduced range, strength, flexibility, agility, shaky voice, etc). I know I'm not the only one. BTW, I am a personal trainer and a super healthy person, so it's not accumulated bad health habits causing this. I saw the recent "singers now and then" YouTube vid on Jon Bon Jovi and though I'm not struggling as much as he is, my voice feels like he sounds a lot of the time. Tense, weak, unfocused, stiff. Before 50, I never had any issues. Now at 58, I have found myself doing all kinds of vocal tricks to get around my new issues. Probably not healthy for my voice. I'm starting completely over with 3.0 at the beginning (had 2.0 previously) but a section for extra help and support would be awesome. Maybe this already exists?
  • RachelflossieRachelflossie Member Posts: 1
    Oh wow, I had questions, but you've already asked them in here, I'm not a student yet, but once on the course, I'm guessing the videos can be accessed in our own time rather than live lessons? I apologise for such an obvious question, also, this website has so much packed into it! I think a subscription, 19.99 is reasonable