Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Full potential of the voice, how long it took you?

Hello dear vocalists,
How long does it take to the voice to reach its full potential?

I have been training for 5 months now and my voice is still very unpredictable.
I know it depends of a lot of factors: how often you train, your dedication etc, but I just wanted to know how long it took YOU to feel very comfortable with your singing. Would you like to share your experience?
Many thanks for your feel back.
J

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited May 2014

I don't think I'll ever be done.  There's always something around the corner that I want to work on.

That said, there are many milestones I've passed along the way that I thought I would never reach.  There have been many plateaus, as well.  A few setbacks from overdoing one thing or another...

The full potential of the voice is a pretty tall order.

For guys, the high notes are always on the wish list.  Then it's the quality of the high notes and the upper mid notes.  Then it's the mix.  Then monster head voice. 

Just stretching chest voice is a huge task that can take years, unless you're the incredible elastic man.

Some of the claims you see from some vocal coaches on the internet lead you to believe that having an incredible voice will just take a few short months, and be really easy, to boot!  That is really not true.  At least not to train someone to sing on anything close to a professional level.

You are correct that your progress will depend on how long and how often you practice your training and how dedicated you are to that process.  I find that the rewarding moments are coming more and more frequently for me as I continue doing KTVA workouts and keep renewing my dedication to continue that effort.  It seems like now more and more people I've never met before go out of their way to tell me how much they enjoy my singing.  That gives me a nice feeling that tells me I'm on a good track!

I expect to continue training the rest of my singing life.  And I expect to fully enjoy the journey.  Getting there is half the fun!

Bob

• JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Ive been singing for over 20 years. I swear I've learned more in the last 3 yrs using KTVA then the other 20 years combined. Have I arrived yet? No but I'm getting closer each day. Enjoy the journey.