Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Lip Rolls: KTVA vs. Singing Success

As a recent SS convert, I have a question about the way I should be approaching lip rolls... Is SS they emphasize using a low larynx when doing lip rolls. Ken doesn't talk about larynx placement in vol 1 (I currently only have volume 1) and he seems to be keeping his sound very bright throughout the excercise (similar to the Ah excercises). Any insight into how I should approach the excercises? I am currently imitating Ken's tone with success: I am keeping the tone bright and my larynx seems to stay neutral. I am also curious about the KTVA view on larynx placement. I used a low larynx on the SS 'mum' excercises to get into a light mix, though I ended up getting a sound similar to Michael McDonald.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

You want to avoid a high larynx in general.  In some cases, when the vocals are meant to sound "froggy", that is done with a high larynx.  High larynx is OK for occasional effect, but not for a general vocal sound or for Ken's "Bright" sound.

Neutral larynx would be the proper position for the lip rolls. 

Early in my KTVA days, I misinterpreted "Bright Placement" with the high larynx sound.  I was wrong.  My high larynx placement was impeding my high notes.  Don't make the mistake I did and use a high larynx in an attempt to get the bright tone.

Bob