Home Psychology of Singing

Being more extroverted when singing

Hi folks. What practical steps can you recommend for being uninhibited (i.e., "letting go") when singing? More than one singer have told me I need to "become a child again" when I sing. That sounds great, but I'm not clear on exactly how you do that. 

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Get your vocal techniques down so that you don't have to think about the mechanics of singing so much. 

At that point, you can begin to loosen up and get a little crazier with the audience. 

It's all about the interaction with the crowd that makes for more of a party atmosphere.

They'll know if you're faking it, so you'll have to actually become crazy in order to get the crowd pumped up.

Seriously, it's about having fun and being open and adventurous with the possibilities of the moment.  Be yourself and enjoy the process.  Think about singers you've enjoyed watching and listening to.  What was it about their performances that was memorable? 

Bob

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Ha! Good post, Phil!
  • seekerseeker Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 83
    James Hetfield is an introvert.
    Just express yourself,know others don't matter,it's about you.
  • JoshrossJoshross Pro Posts: 5
    Great question! As you know, singing with confidence it's not as simple as simply letting go. 

But here are 2 practical things you can do:

1. First, practice the song. Take it apart line by line, apply proper technique. Then read the lyrics and see what the song is really about. As you become more familiar with the song and the emotions behind it, then you can get lost in the music and it will become easier to "let loose"

2. Embrace your imperfections. Even the best singers such as Adele and Steve Perry have voice cracks, sing flat notes, and forget lyrics. If they can be human, so can you. When you allow yourself to sing with permission to make mistakes, you will find that you can give much more energy to the song. So your technique may not always be 100% perfect. But in the end, people would rather hear you sing from the heart with a few minor mistakes than to sing perfectly but with no emotion.

Hope this helps ;)

• johnjohn johnjohn Pro Posts: 99
    @ Joshross: Well said!  :-)