Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

What happened to Ken's cover of Nessun Dorma and Lights by Steve Perry???

I remember seeing Ken Tamplin's videos where he covered Nessun Dorma and Lights and I thought he did a fabulous job. It appears that he removed them from his channel, and I hope this isn't because of the hater comments. Does anyone know why they are gone and where I can watch them again?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited June 2014

Yes.  There were some very hateful comments by a few perfect critics.

I've spoken to Ken about this and encouraged him to put Nessun Dorma back up.  I'm not sure specifically about Lights, but if he got a lot of flack on that one, too, then it's possible. 

The hater comments blow me away.  I remember the first time I heard Ken on Nessun Dorma.  The hair on my arms stood straight up, it gave me chills, and not because I was scared!   It was beautiful!

Some perfectionists were very critical because his Italian pronunciations were imperfect.  Can you imagine criticizing beautiful performances by singers in languages that are not their native tongue, and being panned for imperfect pronunciation? 

God Bless the Haters.  They have nothing better to do than to hate for the lamest of reasons.  May they someday find more joy in their lives than by hating.

Bob

• matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    Ah yes the gods and judges of perfect singing. There are many of those in real life and perhaps moreso in Youtube because of the anonymity it gives people. I seriously hope Ken puts them back up, because as a high baritone, I am VERY interested in hearing a fellow high bari like Ken  singing these tenor songs with his fabulous voice and technique. Those videos are HIGHLY INSPIRING and I hope Ken somehow hears what I have to say here, 
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I asked Ken about this.  He will be re-recording Nessun Dorma. 

That's awesome. Can't wait for it. If I remember his demo correctly, I noticed that Ken hit the high B (vincero) in an interesting way. Instead of attacking it on the "ch" consonant like vin - CHEHHHRO  he seemed to spring from an "s" consonant and hit it like vin se - EHHHRO. Was there any reason he attacked the note like this? I have never heard it sung this way, and I'm sure the high and mighty vocal critics on Youtube must have savaged him for that.
    edited June 2014

Ken is often modifying consonants when the normal consonant would close down his Open Throat, so that could have been what was happening on that particular word. 

Being that the high B is the climax of the song, you can expect that KT is going to be sure to have maximum Open Throat going there.  Jard C's and K's are notorious for closing down the vocal tract.

Bob

That's awesome!
    Can't wait. My dad hired my choir family a Bel Canto voice teacher, and so I have taken up an interest in operatic singing. Should be cool to see how Ken's version sounds this time. It gives me hope that as a high baritone I can someday sing Nessun Dorma in the original key.