Home Musical Gear and Equipment!!!

Computer Recording 2

highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
This discussion was created from comments split from: Post your Demos and Videos.

Comments

• Johan_KaleviJohan_Kalevi Pro Posts: 171
    edited June 2014
    @highmtn

Hi Bob,

The mixer and new mic arrived today.  Pretty stoked.

Been playing around for about an hour with it and have been able to record first tracks with no problem.  The sticky part is now with the overdubbing or multi-tracking ex) laying down the guitar track (fine) wanting to overdub vocals... well, sticky lol

Up above you mentioned this:

"Buy a few adapter cords to come out of the headphone jack on your computer, and go in through the line input on the computer."

Is this the part you were talking about to be able to hear myself and the DAW backing track while still be able to record overdubs?

If so, what sort of adapter cords are you referring to?  RCA? 6.5mm? 

Needing a little help here.  Feels like I've just about got it but I'm missing one thing.

BTW, I have the Behringer Xenyx 802USB as the 502 that I wanted to get didn't have enough Phantom Power voltage to run the C-1 microphone. 

I've tried clicking all manner of buttons, but the closest I can get is hearing my voice through my monitor headphones along with the guitar, but in that arrangement, the vocals are not recording to the DAW..  Hmmm..

Help!  I need somebody.. Help!  Not just anybody.......

Peace,

Johan

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited June 2014

@Johan_Kalevi,

The mixer you selected does not have quite the routing capabilities as the one I am using.

On my Alto, each input channel has two aux outs.  There are also the stereo outputs. 

I'm running the headphone output of my computer into a stereo mixer channel.  That's done by using a 6.5mm male jack that is two RCA's on the other end, which I adapt to 1/4" phone plugs and go into line inputs on my mixer.  I monitor that through the Stereo Left/Right Headphone jack through my headphones.  Whatever I put into my stereo Left/Right mix, I hear in my headphones.  That can be a live mic, a guitar, whatever.  That's just the headphone mix.

For single tracks I am trying to get into the computer to record, I come out of one of my Aux outputs.  That's all that is going to the computer's Line input.  Most computers have a mic input.  Mine has both Line-leve inputs and mic-level inputs.  An Aux out is typically a line-level output.  If you only have a mic-level input on your computer, then you will have to be very careful to turn down the level going into your computer's input so that it doesn't go into distortion.  Having the Aux out on each channel allows me to set one level for the headphone monitoring on the mixer (left/right) and another for a dedicated output to the record input on the computer (From Aux 1 or Aux 2).  Each has its own independent level for record out and monitoring.

Now you have the computer playing back sound from previously-recorded tracks, being monitored through the headphone jack on your mixer, AND you have your guitar or mic that you are presently recording ALSO being monitored through your mixer's headphone jack.  You are also sending an independent output of sound to the computer to be recorded and added to its own record track.

Because your mixer has no Aux Outs, you may run into problems with having a dedicated output on your smaller mixer to go to the record input on your computer, because you don't want the playback tracks bleeding into this record track.  You may have to use just the Left Side of the stereo outs for playback, and the Right side for Record output.  That way you would be using your pan controls to separate the outputs.  Then you would need a Stereo-to-mono headphone adapter for your headphones.  Otherwise you would have an imbalanced sound in your ears.  All playback in one ear, and all record in the other ear.  It would probably work much better to just hear a mono headphone than to have a crazy imbalance in stereo. 

I hope the way I'm explaining this to you makes sense.  We're trying to work around the limitations of the input and output capabilities of your mixer.

• Johan_KaleviJohan_Kalevi Pro Posts: 171
    edited June 2014
    @highmtn

Hi, and Thanks, Bob for the detailed breakdown!

Once I read and re-read a couple of times, it starts to consolidate into workable instructions :)

I'm gonna get to the electronics shop tomorrow to get a little basket of cables and adapters to try some things out.

McGyver's photo will be hung on my wall during the testing phase. 

Appreciate the help!

Peace,

Johan
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

I'm glad it makes sense to you.  There really is a method to my madness.

I build lots of crazy-loop contraptions to get myself where I want to go.  Surprisingly, just about everything I cook up like this seems to work just the way I thought it would. 

Good luck!

Bob

As information to all the Behringer Xenyx Q502 USB Mixer DID NOT WORK OUT for Johan.

He needed a mixer with Pre-fader Aux sends on each input channel.

He ended up sending it back and got a mixer that was more suitable for his purposes. 

He is now happily tweeking the knobs on the Behringer Xenix X1222 USB which cost a little more, but is more of a dream-come-true than his original choice. 

Fortunately, the dealer gave him full credit on his exchange for a better mixer.