Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

Here goes nothing

I'm about ready to begin the first video. Which order are you supposed to do it in? Video then audio? Or are you supposed to do it the other way around?

Comments

• LGsingLGsing Pro Posts: 61

Quick update, I have just watched and follow clips 1, 2 , 3, 4, and 5. Even though I have already been trying only to use my diaphragm to breathe, it's a great idea to make sure that I'm doing it correctly.

I also found that for the raspberry exercise (lip roll) that it's better to use lip balm than to lick your lips.

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Ken explains the processes in the videos, so you would watch them first.  You'll be doing the exercises in the audio portion every day, hopefully a couple of times through.  Get all the way through the videos, and then watch them all again.  You'll see something you overlooked each time you rewatch.

Lip balm, eh?  Makes sense.

Bob

Yes, Bob. Lip balm. I would reccomend Waxlene because it has NO petrolatum in it AT ALL. It only has organic soy oil, beeswax, natural vitamin e oil, and organic rosemary oil.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It's meant for external use, you shouldn't ingest it.
    edited July 2014

Uh Oh!

Just kidding!   I'll have to try that.  I often have to keep moistening my lips.  Maybe I just need to drink more water.

Sorry I had to leave off for a day or so. But last night I came back where I left off with clip 7.
    That same night I also went ahead with clip 8. So clip 9 tomorrow.

Well, question for you guys. When the vowel-change scale comes in?

I also have an interesting story to tell you. After swimming for a couple hours, I of course showered. Then out of boredom, I decided to do some vocalizing, mostly practicing my whistle voice and head voice. It reverberated throughout the whole shower, and surprising no one said a THING about it good or bad not even the receptionist.

Bizarre isn't it?

The vowel changes come as you are approaching the passagio, beforehand.  You use them to delay when you have to shift registers.  They allow you to stay in chest voice longer before giving it up to head voice.

The folks at the pool probably aren't used to someone testing their voice in their reverb chamber.  Sounds good in there, I bet.

Bob

I hope you all don't think I'm an oddball for being able to use whistle register. I feel warmth back in my throat!
    It's not that oddball.  It's just not taught here.  We study a lot of things about the voice, but whistle voice is not one of them.

I've learned about something called "manufactured" vibrato too. And I don't do that at all thank god.

Moving the jaw up and down, or pulsating the diaphragm are means of which to "manufacture" a vibrato.