Home Welcome

Retired musician living in the Philippines

jimle22jimle22 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
Excited to be part of the KTVA family. Just purchased the program looking forward to start the journey learning how to sing like I always wanted to.  Especially would like to have voice like John Fogarty of CCR.  It's gonna take a lot of work but I have the time to dedicate now.  Watched first couple videos.  Still trying to learn to lip roll just takes practice I guess.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Hi, @jimle22!

Welcome to the Forums and KTVA.  The lip rolls will come to you.  I had trouble getting used to them, too.  Now I'm a lip roll pro!  Just try to really relax your face.  I know that's easier said than done when they seem hard, but that's an important clue.  Keep your lips nice and loose, too, and try to keep them moistened.

Some of Fogarty's vocal are really high belting, so give yourself some time to get there.  KTVA is definitely the method to get to that sound!  Follow Ken's instructions and practice every day.  Your voice will grow. 

Nice to meet you!

Bob

• rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    @jimle22:  I like many CCR songs, and have always had to sing many/most of them down a couple half-steps.  Since starting KTVA, I've successfully sung both "Fortunate Son" and "Up Around the Bend", two songs which were pretty much unattainable for me before, w/o lowering them a couple half-steps!  Just to be sure it wasn't a fluke, I just went out and sang them both, back to back, in his key, before I wrote this reply!  Still works!
  • davo165davo165 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 62
    Hey buddy, I'm going to phillipines in feb, where u guys play?
  • jimle22jimle22 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 5
    We are located in province of Ilo Ilo on the island of Panay.  Do not have a group together yet.  Thinking about doing a solo with backing tracks or possibly DJing.
    To comment on another topic, when I sing, my voice sounds high pitch and nasally.  This works for Willie Nelson but I'm not Willie and don't sing his stuff (maybe I should?).  Was wondering if there is a way to improve the timbre in my voice to be lower pitched?  Most songs I like are by vocalists with lower timbre voices.  Any ideas?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@jimle22,

To remedy the high-pitched sound, make sure you are not raising your larynx.  To remedy a nasal sound, be sure to have your throat open like the beginning of a yawn.  Make sure you let a little air come through your nose when you sing.  Not too much, but also don't keep your nasal port totally closed or you will sound like you're singing with a bad cold.  Keep the jaw open, as well.

Bob

Thanks, I will try that.