Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Growing Power in voice

Hi Bob, 

Happy new year!!! 

I finally gotten rid of the break! =D what a break through, I didn't practice for 3 weeks, came back to it, and seem like its a revelation! Just got it! just like that. 
 but when I record myself, my voice was rather soft. What exercise should I do to grow my voice to become as strong as Adele? =)

Thanks. 

Cheers, 
junchee

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2015

@juncheegirl,

Happy New Year to you, too, junchee!  Good to hear that you have figured out how to get past the break!

You need to make sure that you are getting good cord closure.  Make sure that you are getting the tone that Ken demonstrates in the videos when he shows you "It's the LAH!!! AHH!"   Make sure your voice is pinging, and that there is not much airy sound.  Good cord closure and good, solid support will help you to have a very good tone to your voice.

So any LAH exercise is good to practice on, as long as you are using a really bright tone with good cord closure.  Remember to smile into the sound, as well. 

Bob

• juncheegirljuncheegirl Pro Posts: 29
    Hi Bob, 

Thanks for the reply. Appreciate that. =)

So does that mean that the more I do the "it's the La" exercise, making sure closure is good, smiling to get the bright voice, slowy the voice will become stronger and stronger and eventually be like Adele?

I recently watching a Chinese song writing competition, I really like this song
    the singer songwriter is called SuSu - Her song is a hit in China at the moment. and interestingly I tried singing her song, and I found myself sound similar to her.

SuSu's voice is good,but it's nothing like Adele.Just wondering if someone sound like her, does that mean that they will never sound like Adele, in other words, everyone has an innate vocal line? If you have a thin bright voice, you will never be able to achieve a Big bright voice, no matter what you do?

Thank
    Cheers 
    junchee
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

@juncheegirl,

The bright, pingy voice that Ken teaches is the sound that will grow your voice and create the most resonance.  That big sound will help you to sound more and more like Adele, athough you will probably sound more like Super-Juncheegirl! 

I really like the sound of SuSu's voice, and if your voice is sounding anything like hers, then you are on a good track!

We all have our own vocal capabilities, but we have to unlock the power and sound that is within us through long periods of practice.  We don't know how much potential you have within you, but we can work to get the most out of your voice that can be gotten.  We won't know until you get there.  The sky really is the limit, but eventually, we will each reach our own peak.  Adele reaches her own peak, and you and I will reach our own.  But we're not there yet, so we will have to see.  Your own peak may surprise you.  You may unlock a voice that will be far beyond your expectations.  We just have to go for it with all we've got, and see how much potential we can develop. 

Your job is to keep studying your KTVA lessons and practicing, so that your voice can continue to grow.  Maybe you will pass SuSu and give Adele some competition to start worrying about!

Keep working to get that Bright, Pingy sound! 

Bob

edited February 2015
    Thanks a lot Bob! =) 

Just wondering as well, do we have to always when we do all the exercise, do we have to always use the compression technique- as in to try and retain the smoke in the mouth? 

Cheers, 
    Junchee
    edited January 2015

After you get to Volume Three and get the concept of holding back the air, you should try to incorporate that technique from then on.

Another way to think of it, rather than holding in smoke, is to imagine how you would hold in your air if you were underwater, and trying to talk underwater.  You would be conserving as much air as you could by letting as little out as possible as you speak.  This makes your air last longer, and it goes across your cords much more gently, so it is very healthy and can keep you from going hoarse.

To me, this feels the same as breathing inwards a little, even as I am exhaling on my singing breath. Since I AM exhaling, the inward-feeling just acts to reduce how forcefully my breath comes out.  You may not use as MUCH compression always, but you should utilize it as much as possible.  When you are singing very softly, you won't compress, because the force you are singing with will be very light.  So the lighter you sing the less compression you should use.  The heavier you sing, the more you should compress to hold the force of the air back.   Does that make sense?

This technique can be a little tricky to learn, so it is good to practice it a lot, so that it becomes customary for you to always be ready to use it. 

Bob

Thanks Heaps Bob. =) Appreciate it! Have a nice day!