Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Does Axl Rose sing correctly (link)?

Hello!

I'm just getting started with Vol. 1.  Not that I'm anywhere near what Axl or any real singer can do, but just for fun I've been trying to sing along to There Was A Time by (new) Guns n' Roses; you can listen to the original here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHMcXmYYgw4

Now I'm finding from recording myself and listening that I seem to be able to sort of do the really high notes that he does (e.g. from 5:45 - 6:17), and that I kind of sound like him when I do that.  Is he even doing that with correct technique?  I don't want to learn wrong technique when I'm starting out, so was curious if you guys can tell if he is doing those high notes "correctly."  I don't see much in Vol. 1 about high notes and I don't want to learn bad technique on my own by the time I get to Ken's lessons in Vol. 2 or 3.

Thanks!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

He doesn't sound like he's doing anything wrong, but we don't hear you, so we don't know if you're doing it right.

Be careful.  You're just getting started.

:^)

Bob

• boomba212boomba212 Volume 1 Posts: 53
    Cool!  Yeah I know...  I've been so self-conscious of singing my whole life that it'll be some time before I can even share a recording of myself.  :-)  By the way, when does Ken go into how to sing that high?  Is that in Vol. 2?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    The real high stuff comes in Building Head Voice, which is in the PRO bonus material for after completing Volume 3.  Volume 3 does have you doing some A5's in the exercises.