Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Saw Slash/Myles kennedy and Steel Panther live last night

What an inspiration. Two of the best current singers in rock flying the flame.
Consistency was unreal. Surprise package was the bass player in Slashe's band, Todd Kerny. He could really wail as well.

In stark contrast, poor Dave Grohl really struggles live with his vocals

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Awesome.  Would have loved to have seen that.

Interesting about Dave.  I would not have guessed that.

Bob

• rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    Maybe Dave was having an off night?  I know I have nights that I can sing anything, and nights when I can't even sing my easiest songs well... sigh...  :)
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited February 2015
    Nah all originals. Maybe Dave just struggles down under. All reviews have been similar to mine for the past few years. It's not that he is bad, he just changes the melodies or sings it with a different sound than on record. I don't get into the foo fighters much, so maybe I'm biased. All songs were similarr to that Grammy clip. Compensating for harder parts of the songs.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Of course you've all heard Ken and also Gabriella belt out the chorus of The Pretender.   It CAN be done...

Bob 

edited February 2015
    After seeing Michael Starr, the bar has been set for live consistency. He does it all so easy. His mic technique is spot on as well. Maybe it's just seeing unedited clips of bands in the 80's like Bon Jovi, GnR, Motley Crew and Whitesnake trying to pull off that kind of range and power but just not quite hitting the mark.

As a live performer I would put Michael in the catagory of Dio and Steve Perry throughout the 80's.

Myles is fantastic as well just in a different way. He also gets some relief as Todd Kerny belts out 5-7 tunes as well as extended guitar solos from slash.
    @blondiewales I can't find anything concrete due to their act but he has been at it for decades in different semi high profile bands.. Earliest thing I could find was from 92 when he was 26. I don't know if he has proper formal training or has done a Dio and stumbled on it but everything is real consistent with what KTVA teaches as good technique. From the open Vowels, consonants to the hyper Glottal stuff, cutting back the volume and massive belt register along with the one voice thing that everyone strives towards. On top of that he is mid-late 40's and is in top shape vocally.

All those guys are highly trained. The guitar player taught at G.i.T in the early 90's, played in Rob Halfords band Fight and had a Jam Band with Paul Gilbert (racer x and mr Big). Michael's career is very similar in terms of the amount of work they have done.

• rcrosierrcrosier Pro Posts: 275
    I have a friend who's a very accomplished drummer and singer, and he could do it... he used to belt out old Boston tunes (lead) like it was nothing... could do it all night.  Loved listening to him play drums and sing those songs, especially "Smokin'"...