Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method

FEAR of using the Microphone

I have finished the volume 1 and halfway through volume 2 after purchasing the full package.

However, I went out for a karaoke night with my friends recently and found out that I cant actually sing comfortably with the microphone and I get stressed out.i ended up being at my worst. Now I am not motivated anymore. And I feel really down.

How exactly do we sing through the microphone?

Comments

• ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    Practice with a bottle/hairbrush or something and keep going to that karaoke place until you do feel like the microphone is your friend.
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300
    edited April 2015
    @b.elvis,

Stage fright, Ken covers this in one of the side videos.

I've bombed on Karaoke stages so many times, in the end no one cares.  I mean live karaoke with a band not just words. You had to know the songs and well...

So what helps me is sticking to a few karaoke songs I enjoy and owning them.  There is a big difference from singing and being a show person.  There is only one cure that I know of..practice like you would perform on stage.  I rock out in my room, mic stand, mic in hand songs blasting.  You just can't give a crap.  
    Also when I look around at the world at all the bad that's going on, if I can just offer some joy for a moment that motivates me to just go at it.

Practice, sing a song in your range, rock out!
  • mkeymontmkeymont Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 43
    Practice with a real mic, plugged into a real amp. Learn to sing at the volume level where you can hear yourself coming out of the PA better than you can hear yourself in your head. One thing that I used to do is hear myself as "too loud" coming out of the PA when using proper mic technique. To compensate, I would back off of the mic and sing louder, thinking I was in better control. Singing louder makes the voice in your head too loud, preventing you from hearing what everyone else in the room is listening to - the PA!!

I think this is particularly bad when you're playing a small venue, where you could almost sing without a mic and you are dealing with the difference between your own, natural acoustic volume level and what you hear out of the PA. You have to learn to trust the PA. Keep a constant distance between your mouth and the mic and don't back away out of fear!
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    Just get a simple mic, plug it to your laptop or whatever equipment you have and just sing, without analysing the sound too much. Just put yourself to the future environment in advance - and you will feel like home. And it doesn't take too much time. Some days - and you already will feel different ))