Home Welcome

Can't sing

t.gendront.gendron Pro Posts: 4
Hi,

This is a great experiment for me. I really can't sing. I can not carry a tune very far, not even happy birthday! I think there is potential however. 

I can follow other voices in unison in my range which is baritone.  I play piano and  bass guitar which can help support my vocal efforts in many ways. Lastly I do not play professionally, just a life long hobby. 

It will be interesting to see if I can achieve even a  Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, Leo Kottke, Doc Watson or similar. 

Some question. 

Working on breathing, I get light headed with the lip rolls which I am just beginning to try. This is probably normal  at first but just checking to see and if there are ways to minimize it.  Is it normal? Does one get into better aerobic shape with these exercises? 

Thanks,
-tomg

Comments

• seekerseeker Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 83
    Samples of you doing the exercises would be great.
    Most likely you're getting light headed cause you're over pushing.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @t.gendron. 

Yes, as you continue to do these exercises, there will be less and less tendency to get lightheaded.  You will become more accustomed to doing them and you will also become more efficient at doing them.

One thing to be aware of on the lip rolls is that you can blow through a smaller area of the center of the lips, as opposed to blowing along the full length of your lips.  This will allow you to conserve air.  Also, be aware that your breath should be very light on these, as if to not blow out a candle that is near your lips.

You will get better at these, the more regularly you continue to do them.

All the Best!

Bob 
  • t.gendront.gendron Pro Posts: 4
    Thanks folks, 

I will keep working on em and thanks for the tips. 

I'm not brave enough to post any samples yet, only been here a week. 

I must say the forum really supports the course. Thanks so much. !