Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Excited About The Course!

My name is John and I'm from Kansas. I'm just trying to get better at singing karaoke.

I sang for the first time in forever at the age of 39 when I visited the Philippines. I started violin lessons in 4th grade to get out of singing class and hadn't sung since then (other than in the car).

Elton John is my all-time favorite vocalist, though I love a huge range of music (especially pop, rock, and alternative, but also soul and some country).

I've gained quite a bit of upper range and some lower range since then, mostly through trial and error and/or brute force. (I know, not a good way...) My pitch recognition has improved quite a lot as well. I've taken one other online course that's helped me to understand my voice a bit better.

I'm still a novice or "lower intermediate" singer and hope (with effort) this course will take me into the "upper intermediate" range or beyond.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @JohnM68,

Nice to meet you. 

If you have bought a KTVA course you may be elligible to get a forums upgrade. 

You can send a copy of your KTVA purchase by copying and pasting it into an email to ktvaforums@gmail.com .  Mention that you are requesting a forums upgrade, and mention your username here on the forums.

Forums upgrades are not available for payment plan students until they have made their final payment, and the Weekend Warriors course will not include student access. 

If you've bought Volume One or the Pro Bundle, then send that email.  There is more to this forum than you can see as a member.

Your Karaoke is about to take on a new perspective.  I think this course will get you well into the "upper intermediate" category or beyond.

Welcome!

Bob
  • JohnM68JohnM68 Pro Posts: 11

I requested the forum upgrade last night.

My initial experience with the course was a bit frustrating, which I did anticipate. Anything with my voice is often frustrating. I know, most people experience similar issues and I shouldn't get frustrated. (Easier said than done!)

However, I got to video 8 (close back throat) and got sidetracked. (Some student I am!) I spent the next three hours singing many songs with notes I'd been previously unable to hit.

I went through CCR, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Air Supply, Boston and others with a decent degree of success. Not that I'd perform most of them in front of a crowd yet, but it was a huge improvement. (Journey songs were still mostly elusive though)

I joined the other online course I mentioned about two years ago and started and stopped it often, with moderate success, but the open throat I achieved last night was my biggest single advancement and happened in two hours rather than two months. Once before (a few months ago), I blindly stumbled upon the open throat technique, but had been unable to duplicate it since then. I knew what I was aiming for, but didn't know how to go about getting there.

I'll get back on track with volume 1 later today and I'm looking forward to repeating the videos over and over again to improve the technique.