Home Welcome
Options

Ready to join the Crowd

JimJim Member Posts: 1
Hello there folks

I am excited to be here, to have joined in with Ken's coaching/teaching for voice. I look forward to getting to know some of you as time goes.

As for who I am in the mix:
I'm one of those guys who started singing on stages pretty regularly at age 4 in everything from choirs to bands to whatever was tossed my way. My brother and I formed our first rock band when I was twelve and he was ten. My mom tended to be the parent who asked us to turn it up rather than turn it down. She was about as encouraging a woman as you'd find.

I continued in choirs, rock bands and musicals, church youth groups. whatever I could find to sing in, all through high school and college as a vocal major but it was ALL Classical and I felt very much the odd guy out. I love classical music but not for a personal style of singing. I wanted to rock!

After college I started a solo and then lead voc for a band and then solo and then a bunch of whoever could join me for a band and then solo and then....you get the point. For the last 8 years I have done both now. I tour solo because the guys in the band have day jobs, one owns a business, but when we are within 5 hours of my hometown of Rochester NY they can join me if the event calls for a band.

During the last ten years I had some congestive heart failure from a shriveled artery, and a couple heart attackes ensued. This also left my heart pumping strength at only 35%. The average person has a resting heart pumping strength of 65% or so. When you work out is when you push it up to more. Anyway, it left me weak, and it also affected my voice and strength. To some degree it has come back but I feel I have developed some bad habits and to be honest I want to do even more and greater things than I have so far. I wanna push the envelope of just how strong and high and low I can get this voice to work but with excellence and a desire for energy and emotion that makes sense to the songs I sing. (I have been a songwriter since age four as well. It took a while but I did get pretty good at it)

As for Ken's stuff, I had heard of him a while back but had done nothing about it, before the heart stuff. At this point I want to go for it and this course is definitely a part of that puzzle.

Okay, nuff said, I'm sure.
Take care and I'll look for ya here in the forum!

Jim

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Welcome, @Jim!

Thanks for sharing your story with us.  I hope you're doing OK as far as your energy level and overall health.  You've been through a lot, but it's encouraging that you have the desire to work with your voice and take it to places it's never been before. 

It all comes one step at a time, and at the pace each of us as individuals is able to move along at.  You have quite a track record behind you, so let's get on with the track that lies before you... one step at a time!

Take care of yourself and enjoy the journey.  Getting there is more than half the fun!

All the Best!

Bob