Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Am i Doing it right??

Hey there friends,

I have been doing volume 1 for about a month consistently now and i just wanted some pros to check if i have the AH excerises down correctly.

There are 2 examples in this video, the first is me opening the throat more as i go higher, the next is me trying to keep that bright sound, but the throat isn't as open.

Which one is the correct way to do it?
http://youtu.be/7cGtAUBMmBw

This video is me going through the AH Excerise. Is it okay?
http://youtu.be/RL585u6edsU

Thankyou, any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    In your first video, you cover a little too much and the sound gets too dark on the first siren. In the second siren, where you say you are trying to keep it brighter, the sound splats a little. That means you aren't closing down quite enough with the vowel modifications. Since this is a siren, instead of a scale, it's hard to tell you exactly which mod goes where, because you aren't on any specific note at any time. Your sweet spot is going to be somewhere brighter than the first siren, but more closed down near the passaggio in the second siren.

Your second video has you almost sirening through the scales. Try to "land" on each note individually more. I know that can seem hard at first, but you will learn it if you concentrate on it. In the places where you are speed-bumping, you should lower your air pressure a bit.

Your range sounds good. Your tone is good. Land on those notes.

Good job.

Bob
  • JonasFinnLarssonJonasFinnLarsson Pro Posts: 200
    I dont know if this is valid tip for you but it worked for me. It feels that way atleast.

In order to get that bright tone i closed my mouth almost to the point were it is totally closed.
    Then i experimented with my voice, what it felt and sounded like when it was really bright.
    Then i put that feeling and sound with open throat and open mouth. It felt more easy this way.

I dont know if this is a good tip or not but it works for me.