Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hi! My name is... what? My name is... who?

Sean Shady!!!

Lol, just kidding. Hi my name is Sean Clements. I've been singing for about a decade now, and am currently the lead Vocalist and guitarist for the Winnipeg based funky stoner rock group Solhounds.

Over the years I've gone to a few different vocal coaches, tried a couple of programs, but nothing ever gave me the power and the confidence I was looking for. Then a friend if mine (Adrian Dyer Vocalist/bassist of Winnipeg based Prog rockers Moon Tan) recommended Ken's program. I've been working at the program for about 6 months now, and am really stoked on it! I practice every day that I can (despite my housemates and bandmates teasing, haha) and feel like I'm really getting a understanding of how to use my voice to it's fullest capacity!

I've only recently joined the forum, cause I want to learn as much as I can, and hopefully make some friends along the way :)

Some vocalists who really inspire me are; Jeff Buckley, Thom Yorke, Mike Patton, Maynard James Keenan, Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Phil Anselmo, Trent Reznor, & Peter Gabriel.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Hi, @Solhoundsinger,
    Glad you got that good advice from Adrian. He has done well with KTVA methods, and it sounds like your voice is growing, as well.

You have a nice list of favorite vocal artists.

We're glad you're here!

Bob
  • SeanyMcSeanFaceSeanyMcSeanFace Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 16
    edited August 2016
    I don't know much about what good technique is vs bad, but the singers I like listening to the most are the ones that move me with their voice and emotion (Weither they use good technique or not). True there are some guys on my list which may not have the best technique, but they've inspired and moved me more than singers I've listened too with really good technique.

That being said I'm always looking to broaden my musical palate, and appreciate the comment.

Who are some vocalists with good technique you'd recommend I listen too?
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited August 2016
    Good technique is good technique. Whatever you choose to do with it is up to you. Jeff Buckley(so good at just being in the moment) , Mike Patton, Thom York kick some serious ass. Love Pantera and Tool as well. It's all about breath control, support and Open throat freedom.

You can choose to bridge early, bridge late, sing heavy, sing light. Whatever you want, it's up to you. Want to sing some Sam Cooke ... Go for it. Some Robert Plant... Some dio, some Steve perry, Johnnycake Cash...Go for it. Dig through the program and it will cover everything.

Do all these guys know what they're doing... Probably not. Luckily Ken does and he knows how to produce it without hurting yourself and how to be consistent night after night.

Take your time and get that 'ahh' feeling imbedded along with proper support and all the other fundamental building blocks. Eventually you'll be able to do it all.