Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Work-up with Ken. Fooled Around and Fell in Love Verse/chorus

streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
Worked on this tune yesterday with Ken during a lesson. Only a verse/chorus and it's not perfect (still need time to work on it.) but using Ken's tips and tricks, he made a very, very difficult tune achievable. To make it even more daunting, I acoustified it.

Comments

• streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    That's a very tough song to sing. Ken really takes the lyrics of a song like this and shows you how to manage the vowels on the high notes. You roll into the oo of Fooled by starting on Fah-ooled, because slamming right into an ooh like that on an A4 is murder on your cords. It takes a little practice to smooth it out so that it sounds more natural. This sounds awesome for just learning it today.

Sounding good, Bro.

Bob
    edited November 2015
    @highmtn

Yep,that's exactly what was discussed. I'm still singing Fooled more like fAahhoold and possibly even Fahehld, rather than being able being able to quickly transition from Ahhh to Ohh like Fahoold but it's getting there. I feel like so many moving targets were eliminated within such a short space of time, it was amazing. Thanks again @Ken Tamplin if you get a chance to read this.

We also did some work on Paradise City and Bad Medicine. Heavy consonant tunes and the annoying Ih vowel and how to eliminate it moving in and out of various vowel sounds.

Remember guys, the harder the tune, the less the Jaw moves.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yeah, Luke. It's a little like learning a new language, but once you get familiar with those ideas, it really smooths out the bumps in the road for your voice. You always grasp these concepts pretty quickly and run with them, so it's great to hear that you got a great jump-start to bump your voice up another quantum level, as well as just getting you fired-up to keep attacking these songs!

That kind of fever can spread quickly here on the forums, and I really like it when we start revving one another up by hearing about the tunes we're trying to tackle.

Rock on, dude!

Bob
    We also discussed what is and isn't safe relating to hyper glottal and different tones/textures. Some back to basics stuff relating to vowel sounds. A lot of info and all of it was gold.
    edited November 2015
    highmtn said:

Yeah, Luke. It's a little like learning a new language, but once you get familiar with those ideas, it really smooths out the bumps in the road for your voice. You always grasp these concepts pretty quickly and run with them, so it's great to hear that you got a great jump-start to bump your voice up another quantum level, as well as just getting you fired-up to keep attacking these songs!

That kind of fever can spread quickly here on the forums, and I really like it when we start revving one another up by hearing about the tunes we're trying to tackle.

Rock on, dude!

Bob

Going from hitting that A4 on' Fooled' 1 in 10 times to having the confidence to just being able to hit record and sing through it is such a massive booste. It's awesome.

edited November 2015
    n.

Getting better and better, man. Is it just me, or is something particularly funky about the high note in the second to last "fooled around and fell in love"? Like Bob said, it sounds great for having just learnt it. I agree, it is quite a tough song. The Winery Dogs do a good cover of it.

Did you run your Vocal Rider plugin on this?

Probably a few things going wrong haha...Hit it too hard etc... But what your probably referring to is my overly dramatic wide and slow vibrato. I'm bending my note up there because I'm working on trying to develope vibrato in the upper mids. I'm all good up to G4 but after that I'm still working on it.

Billy Sheehan ruins The winery dogs version for me. That tone is just unlistenable. Richie does some really cool stuff on it though. I'll probably steel his second chorus for variation. I'll try and mix and match parts from Ken's, Richie's and the original. I really like a lot of different elements from all 3.

No vocal rider just the CLA vocal plugin.
  • SemiSemi Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 153
    Hi @streeter,

that`s really good bright resonant midvoice. Agreed with you and @highmtn, to hit the vowels OOH and EE directly in this range is vocal suicide. There`s been this line in Sam Cook`s Change is gonna come "It`s been too hard of livin`" I wasn`t able to sing until Ken showed me that I need to alter some vowels into "E(h)ts` be(h)n ta(h)-oh-ooh hat(h) of le(h)-ve(h)n".
    You have very good understating of how the mechanics work, with some practice you`ll be able to nail this tune, man. Thumbs up!
    Semi said:

Hi @streeter,

that`s really good bright resonant midvoice. Agreed with you and @highmtn, to hit the vowels OOH and EE directly in this range is vocal suicide. There`s been this line in Sam Cook`s Change is gonna come "It`s been too hard of livin`" I wasn`t able to sing until Ken showed me that I need to alter some vowels into "E(h)ts` be(h)n ta(h)-oh-ooh hat(h) of le(h)-ve(h)n".
    You have very good understating of how the mechanics work, with some practice you`ll be able to nail this tune, man. Thumbs up!

Thanks @Semi

Lots of Athletic runs coming up in second/third verses and chorus outro's.

A Change is Gonna Come is next on my list of tunes in this style.