Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

What technique does this guy use? Sounds like many to me.

What kind of technique is this guy using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wpi1m3Ta38

Thanks,
Neil

Best Answers

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Answer ✓
    He's belting in chest, using distortion here and there, singing clean at other times, going into head voice, using vibrato when he wants to.

He has a super vocal range, good breath control and support. I hear little kid voice at times. He thins down his voice to go up in his highs. Uses lots of runs and trills here and there.

He's quite good on vocals and on bass. John Cowan.

Bob
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited November 2015 Answer ✓
    Some guys are just like that. They just do the correct things because of whatever influences they have gravitated towards. Ever seen clips of Michael Jackson when he was 10 on the Ed Sullivan show? Massive open throat vowels, support, pitch perfect, ridiculous runs, range, power, tone... You name it, he had it.

There's guys the actively sorted to learn about technique like Myles Kennedy and then there's guys who just found out what worked and what didn't from years of experience like Todd Kearns both of whom sing in Slashes band.

Sometimes, no matter how musical we are... We still need someone to show us mechanically what is going on in order to achieve results.

Answers

• banjonbanjon Pro Posts: 9
    I have had John in concert several times. He is the most amazing live singer I have ever heard. I interviewed him concerning his singing technique and was surprised with the answer. He said his voice has always been there and he just practiced with records. Also he said it is all about the good support.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, there are those in life who are just good singers. They're singing correctly and didn't have to be taught. Then there are the rest of us...

You can be taught this stuff. We don't all have equal capabilities, but great technique can bring us all much closer to the way some others have sung since they opened their mouths. We can greatly shorten the gap between gifted naturals and great singers who learned to sing better after the fact.

Bob
  • banjonbanjon Pro Posts: 9
    I have the KTVA program. I have learned an enormous amount since I began practicing. I chose it over all other programs because Ken can sing sing full in the mid voice much like John. All the other programs teach mostly head voice development and very little chest. They all seem afraid of chest voice for some reason. But in my opinion you just can get a real singers sound without developing the chest. In my own development through the years I found what Ken says to be true. If u don't develop the chest voice the entire system will eventually break down. I use to b a head voice singer only. My voice was constantly shutting down and becoming smaller and smaller. I have watch John sing live for 30 years. He pushes his voice to the limit. I have never heard him not blow the doors off at his performances. This tells you something about what Ken teaches. With the right technique your voice should be there night after night. John definitely bares this out. I let the boys on a head voice only sight hear John. They said he was edging, curbing, quaking, twanging, etc. I have never heard Ken mention any of this shit. Lol. When I hear John I hear Ken. Two great singers demonstrating a similar, proper, high performance singing technique. The proof is in the singing.
    Tell it like it is, @banjon!