Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

sing without air in voice

hello!!

I have a problem, sometimes my voice is a little bit airy, I dunno how to stop make it airy, I need an advice please!!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @samgll

What you need is cord closure. If your cords are not together, air leaks through and makes your voice airy. That will dry the cords out and take away their flexibility. You need that flexibility.

One way to find cord closure is to say the word "hut" softly, but instead of making the "t" at the end of the word with your tongue, you just bring your vocal cords together. An "H" sound is just the sound of air going past your slightly open cords. So slightly bring them together a little more and do the unvoiced "t" with your throat, by bringing the cords all the way together.

So you can say hhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuut. Remember the tongue does not make the T. The vocal cords just shut. Then sing an AH vowel through those closed cords. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuut-AAAAAAHHHHHH!

Your vowel should not be airy now, because you are closing the cords.

When you hear Ken demonstrate "It's the LAH!!! AHH!!! AHH!!!" he is doing that with good cord closure. You should copy his sound. Make the sound very bright and make it PING!

Bob
  • samgllsamgll Member Posts: 6
    highmtn said:

@samgll

What you need is cord closure. If your cords are not together, air leaks through and makes your voice airy. That will dry the cords out and take away their flexibility. You need that flexibility.

One way to find cord closure is to say the word "hut" softly, but instead of making the "t" at the end of the word with your tongue, you just bring your vocal cords together. An "H" sound is just the sound of air going past your slightly open cords. So slightly bring them together a little more and do the unvoiced "t" with your throat, by bringing the cords all the way together.

So you can say hhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuut. Remember the tongue does not make the T. The vocal cords just shut. Then sing an AH vowel through those closed cords. hhhhhhhhhhhhhhuuuuuuut-AAAAAAHHHHHH!

Your vowel should not be airy now, because you are closing the cords.

When you hear Ken demonstrate "It's the LAH!!! AHH!!! AHH!!!" he is doing that with good cord closure. You should copy his sound. Make the sound very bright and make it PING!

Bob

wow thats awesome it helped me so much, now I understand it better, thanks :blush: it was pretty helpful, and with the vowel exercise works great! thank you!! regards from Mexico :smiley: