Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How to do a right warmup

Hello I have a question. When I warm up the voice I should always connect the chest voice with the head voice or sometimes is good to stretch a powerfull chest voice the highest that I can whitouth connection and then warm up connecting???

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2016
    @mathi348,

Ken teaches that you should stretch the chest voice, however you need to do so safely.

If you are going to stretch your chest voice, you should do so without bridging into head voice, because bridging is much easier than stretching, and your voice will tend to take the easy road and bridge. That does little to encourage your voice to grow.

Students of Ken's program are encouraged to refrain from connecting head to chest at all until they are finished with stretching chest. It does little good to do a warmed-up workout bridging into head voice, because you are not continuing to build your extended chest voice, and you will only delay getting your chest voice extended.

It's fine to connect to head when doing simple warmup exercises like Lip Burbles or Ken's "Tongue Exercise", but when you get to the full voice-building exercises on vowels, it's time to stretch chest voice and keep doing it until the process is complete, and that takes time.

Bob
  • mathi348mathi348 Member Posts: 4
    thanks so much!!!!!! now i am stretching my chest voice and I see that my voice starts to grow