Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Phlegm

Hi guys. Recently I got terribly sick with an inflammation and now the entirety of the insides of my throat is covered with mucus and phlegm. When I try to sing, it somehow takes a lot more effort and sounds extremely croak-ey. It sounds like the noise one makes when they try to fake a burp. Ya know, that feeling of a strong vibration in the throat?

The doctor says it may take weeks for my throat to recover. In the meantime, is there anything I can do to make myself not sound like a frog?
And is there anything someone can recommend that would help get rid of the phlegm?

Comments

• twelvedesigntwelvedesign Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 239
    Try doing really light exercises, and see if that helps getting phlegm off the cords.

I am just recovering from a week long cold. I got the cold right when I started getting back into KTVA program and felt my progress was quite good... Needless to say I wanted to continue doing exercises while sick, but I opted in to take it easy and did only really light lip rolls and tongue exercises. I also did occasional Lahs (just individual lower notes to make sure I keep my open throat going).

I actually felt my throat getting some relieve after that, and also some of the phlegm was coming off.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2016
    @EdgeJay

Ken gives some good advice in this video. One of the really cool products is the liposomal vitamin C. The steamer is effective, too.

Some of the viruses presently going around leave a really bad, thick mucus that lingers for weeks or even months. Some of these remedies will help to combat the mucus.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szi078Nx6h8&list=PLfKCgX__DMDANE6XBG1ykb7D3eEC7RZx-&index=11