Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

[Before&After] I'm back from vacation!

KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
Hey guys! I'm finally back from vacation in Korea! I had a BLAST! Especially getting lost etc etc and practicing my Korean haha! It can be considered that I went there alone! I just made friends over there and hung out with them haha! Loads of fun!

Anyways, I'm back and will start being more active again!

As promised long ago, I finally recorded a demo ;D! I'm gonna post here my before and afters :). Enjoy!

Before "Singing Success" and KTVA

*Note* Not in original key. I adjusted it so that it would hit the highest note I could during the bridge.

After 6 months of "Singing Success" (I stopped SS after doing this demo. -_-)

*Note* Not in original key. I just sung it comfortably.

Then I found KTVA. Started on July 2011.

After 11 Months of KTVA (24/05/2012)

*Note* In ORIGINAL key :D! Sorry if I messed up the tempo a bit. Couldn't hear the music x_X"

Enjoy the demo! It's Beautiful by Christina Aguilera in Original Key. The idea just popped up my mind and I was like... I'll just make a demo of it and post on KTVA forums! It's 2 30 AM here so I feel a bit hesitant at the beginning. I even sang in the bathroom with doors closed to reduce sound from waking up my parents and siblings :x .

It's not perfect. I did forget some vowel modifications and over enunciated some consonants (you can hear this after the bridge, I strain on "cant" because of the "C" consonant).

Oh and I didn't listen to the song much. I just listened to the song once before I did this demo. Hence why I didn't do most of the licks and trills.

Also, this demo took me two takes to get one that I'm satisfied and too lazy to make another. So yeah. The first take wasn't that bad just that I was super hesitant in the beginning so I just decided to create a new one and attempt better :D!

Enjoy and feel free to leave comments and constructive criticism!

Cheers
Rayhan (for those of you who don't know, I'm from Malaysia ;D!)

*EDIT* Just for some extra info, I sang this in my bathroom with my Mac playing the tune on youtube and recording it from it's microphone! :D I wish I had those cool recording gear ;__;"

Comments

• pmacpmac Pro Posts: 58

Hey Rayhan,

Its good to see your progress.I didn't think you sounded too bad on your before song.Ican see why you stopped the Singing Sucess programme you seemed to lose your tone and everything that was good from the first demo.Wow what an improvement on the Beautiful demo.I know it wasn't perfect but the tone was great and singing in the conditions you did.I hope that my journey with Ken's programme will do  for me what it has for you.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul  

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    edited May 2012

Nice Job Rayhan,

A couple of comments:

On the I vowel (as in "insecure") this is a difficult transitional vowel and can be difficult to not pinch the sound and get "pitchy".

One of the best way to compensate for the I vowel is eh (so ensecure) so that the throat doesn't

close down and you find yourself having to "re-set" up the ah vowel for the next phrase.

On the chorus, you will also hear you started to go off pitch "I am beautiful" (the I of I am beautiful). Hear again is the same kind of issue. It's actually easier to sing "A am beautiful" ( A as in the word lamb) and then quickly transition to the vowel sound of "I". This will make people think you are singing "I" but you are really singing A.

(you actually did this exact thing when the chorus turned around however you used the "ah" vowel, which if you noticed the pitch is spot on. However A (as in lamb) is a more "true" vowel to substitute for "I".

This again is true for the word delirious. You can clearly hear the throat regurgitate and close down. Sing dilerious without the ee in the sound. Sing it dilarious. (eh as in led or the boys name Larry)  So diLarryous.

(we also need to work on the blues licks to makwe them "tighter"), I will have to address that another time.

Your range is coming along pretty cool especially at the end.

You're on a good track, we just need to step by step keep cleaning up these things one at a time and success will come.

Thanks for posting your track

• KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Thanks for the reply Ken! 

I noticed I still had trouble with the "I" vowels and I didn't think much of the vowel modifications. 

Thanks for the great tips! I still have some problems with trying not to over enunciate the consonant sounds. I suppose this is one where I'll have to keep trying and trying!
  • reessereesse Enrolled Posts: 159
    Nice KOKOnuhtz :) nice sounds !! IM soooo happy you are finding success. IT sounds like 6-11 months you are definitely utilizing what Ken is telling us!! Good job! Keep this up!
  • sspatricksspatrick Enrolled Posts: 1,278
    Great Job Koko,

Its not often that you hear a male singer doing a Christina Aguilera song in the original key!  great range, and delivery.  I'm glad the program has been such a success for you.
    Haha thanks for the comments guys :D! Yes my singing feels so much different than back then :) I'm glad to have found Ken! 

Over enunciating consonants are something hard for me to reverse learning but I'm trying XD
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Good job Rayhan!!!

WOW on the high notes!!!

Bob

Thanks Bob!! I'll try to make a better demo of me singing a prepared song! :-)
  • jimiwaynejimiwayne Enrolled Posts: 21
    Rahan,

First of all, thank you for posting the demo's really good stuff. From where you were, to where your are and the room allowed for the minor details (i.e. 2.00 am, bathroom, hesitation etc.) by far, I clearly hear a grand difference. I concur with what @pmac said. The Sing Success program definitely seemed to have taken something away from you considering the first demo, but then__ your work and effort for 11 months with KTVA___ you gained.That familiar tone from the first demo came back, much brighter, richer, better delivery etc.__ Thanks again for posting these demo's__ I am definitely inspired.

@reesse Thanks Marie! Will try to get another one soon. XD hope you're doing great too!

@jimiwayne thanks bro xD I will try and get a better recording xD where I am fully prepared xD
    :) yay great ! Well guess what? great news I passed my classes again haha so I get more credits and about to be a junior now !! Gosh I miss you guys though!!!!
  • dingodingo Enrolled Posts: 119
    Hi Rayhan,

Glad you posted up your before and after. Outstanding job and i think you sounded pretty good to begin with.

You sound great

xxxx
  • wvwv Enrolled Posts: 36
    edited June 2012
    You sound great kokonuhtz, especially on the "Beautiful" track. I wanna be able to sing those high notes someday.
    Thanks @wv , @dingo and @reesse !

You will too as long as your be determined and don't give up! :D! Perfect practice makes perfect!!
    Im so sad I have not practiced in a while
    It's okay! You can always get your head back in the game!! Never give up!!
  • wvwv Enrolled Posts: 36

Hey Kokonuhtz,

I just wanna know if you used your upper chest voice to hit the highest note in Beautiful. Was it mix, perharps?

That's actually me stretching my chest voice. However, I think I might be mixing some head voice in it unconsciously so yeah. I'd say it's a mix but with only a bit of head added to it? Since when i'm warmed up, I can't really tell between chest and head sometimes x_x Unless I make a breathy head sound like what I do when I sang "words can't bring <ME> down". That word <ME>, I actually flipped into a breathy head voice for that soft effect since I can't sing in my head voice without being breathy and have a reasonable volume for now XD!