Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Warming Up!

Hey everyone,

Just wondering if there are any ideas, suggestions or opinions on warming up before warming up? What I mean is, should I drink a warm tea/lemon honey drink before working the vocals? I'm a beginner Weekend Warrior and I suffer with a neuromuscular condition called Ataxia-Telangiectasia. Whenever I strain my voice or try holding notes while singing, my vocal chords want to choke up. Any helpful ideas or suggestions would be welcome and greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Comments

• crymearivercrymeariver Member Posts: 3
    Make sure you're drinking lots of water throughout the day, and if you find a buildup of phlegm in your throat, honey and lemon is great beforehand to help clear this. Don't overdo it though, as the lemon can be a little drying.

I also find steam to be super helpful before warming up - take a hot shower, or pour some boiling water into a bowl, and lean over it with a towel over your head to keep the steam in (being careful not to burn yourself on any hot steam). You can also buy personal steamers for this. I usually do this once or even twice a day, which is a little excessive, but it doesn't hurt!

But, the main thing is that you should not be straining. If you find yourself doing this regularly, STOP, and have a look over your technique and what it could be that's causing this. Of course, being a beginner it is normal to experience some discomfort while training, especially with your condition, so it is important to schedule days of vocal rest.

If you continue to experience problems, I would try to book a vocal lesson to remedy this.
  • DORCHYKDORCHYK Member Posts: 2
    Thank you so much! I will definitely give those a try! I totally understand having a vocal rest with my condition, I have to do that for the rest of my body!