Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

My worst nightmare!

So I've been working these lessons since Jan 16, 2016 in preparation for my CD release parties this past weekend and next weekend. Last week I noticed more mucus in my throat and almost a feeling of scratchiness when swallowing. I thought no way was I getting a cold, so I refused to let that into my mind. I also had no congestion. When Sat came, I felt good, my throat felt good, I was drinking water all day so I assumed I would have a great night. I did a vocal warmup and felt pretty normal. During my first set I noticed that I never felt warmed up, I didn't have the momentum I usually get. I couldn't go off vocally like I normally do. Easy notes took more effort than normal. My voice didn't elevate as the set went on. During my break when talking to people and selling CDs, my voice felt so heavy. Like I was yelling. I couldn't believe I was losing my voice! I made it through the second long set, but not nearly as strong as I normally am. I couldn't even sing the rest of my original music for fear of completely blowing out my voice. Yesterday I could barely talk. Today sounds a tiny bit better. I'm assuming I have some kind of throat virus?? Just very wierd it came out of no where. I NEVER lose my voice. The last time I did was 7 years ago when I tried to sing a gig with pneumonia. I just feel very let down since I worked so hard for these gigs. I pray to God I'll be back to normal for Sat. Just needed to rant. Singing is a gift in my eyes, something to NEVER be taking for granted.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It could be viral, it could be allergies. When these things come from out of nowhere, we just have to live through them and recover as best as we can.

I know that when I am struck by viral or allergic symptoms, even though I hate having a diminished capability, the fact that I have trained my voice and strengthened it helps the setback to be minimized over what it otherwise might have done to me, and my recovery is faster.

I hope you are feeling and singing better soon! Congratulations on the release of your CD.

Bob
  • KathyGKathyG Pro Posts: 15
    Thanks @highmtn Bob. That makes me feel better. I guess it could've been worse, at least I got through the gig.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Other artists might have given up and cancelled the performance. You toughed it out.