Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Can anybody recommend songs to practice for stretching chest, and improving head (mix) voice MALES

Hey, I just wanted to ask peoples opinions on songs to work on in order to improve the above? I Often sing way up in the tenor range myself but I do still fatigue after a while, I have a grasp on Kens Technique now but feel I should be applying it to songs rather than going over scales, as you can only truly get to grips with the technique when applying it to actual songs In my opinion. Any way, I sing along to guns n roses led zep stuff like that as i figure they are tough enough to give the mix a good workout, Trying to emulate while still keeping my own sound. Thoughts on this and artist song suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• louisjameslouisjames Enrolled Posts: 125
    Thanks very much ! Dio seems a great choice. As im looking for a thicker more robust kind of sound.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @louisjames,

Hey bro! Long time no see! If your voice is tiring, you really should review volume 3 and go over the part where Ken tells you how to cut back the air when you sing. It seems too simple to be true, but what he shows you there will literally save your voice. If you're feeling vocal fatigue, the you aren't cutting back the pressure enough.

I thought "Yeah, right" and didn't really think that would work. I kept getting hoarse and tired. Then I actually did what Ken said, and wow.

Now I can go for hours and hours and feel better at the end of a 4 or 5 hour gig than when I started.

Bob
    Thats great Bob thanks, is it all just on the audio sections? my laptop broke a while back so i havnt got any of the videos anymore unfortunately ! will just using the audio suffice ?
    Cutting back the air as in Glottal Compression right ?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, but specifically the cutting back the air part, not the distortion part of glottal compression. If you look up your receipt on paypal, and send a copy to KTVA at ktvahelp@gmail.com and tell them about your laptop, they could probably get you a new copy of the program for a reduced fee.

It's in the Video portion of Volume 3 where Ken goes over that.

Bob
    unfortunately i dont have my receipt any more. Thanks for the help Bob.
    Another great vocalist for full on chest is Jay Buchanan of Rival Sons. Im aiming for that big sound really, i mean the obvious like robert plant also come to mind, but when it comes to singing D5 or above i can only mix. I presume this is normal for a guy?

still cant find my receipt annoyingly! just guna blast vol 3 now and try stick to it, im very easily demotivated when it comes to not getting something, and if I feel a little fatigue it drops my confidence at times. What it is with me is i know now what i must do technically its more the applying to song now. Saying that I have been on a fair few extensive tours so i cant be doing it all wrong :)