Home The Singer's Lobby

What's Good?

I know it's been a long time, but I've been going to school, and even had a job for a short time (I'm still looking for work). Yes, I've been doing some singing still, discovered improv, and telling other improvisers that this one sings. My latest instructor said that I had an ethereal voice which gave me the feeling that I might be some kind of lyric. I now wonder, am I a lyric, a soubrette, a spinto, a coloratura (I can produce some riffs/runs), a dramatic, or some combo thereof. I have uploaded a new singing video, too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oRYgpdToik I take a while to get to the singing, so you might need to fast-forward it. Thanks again for your time.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    We don't put much faith in the fachs. They tend to put you in a box. It's clear that you can hit some pretty high notes, as well as plenty of lower ones.

Unfortunately the mic was set too high, because once you got into the song, the distortion is very distracting and makes it hard to listen to. I think you could sing any role you wanted to, if you put in the practice to work out the bugs.

There were some nice parts in there. Maybe next time you can do a mic check first and sing some of the louder parts and adjust the volume or the positioning of the mic to get a clear sound on even the loudest parts. That will sound a lot better. You have a nice voice when you're in your sweet spot.

Bob
  • LGsingLGsing Pro Posts: 61
    Aw, thanks, but where is my sweet spot do you think? People still think of me as being a high alto, alto #1, alto #2.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You have a wide range. No need to put your range in a box. Sing what you want to, and let others worry about what to "call" you. I would call you a sopralto. I call myself a baritenor.
    LOL I thought I might be a "sopralto," aka assoluta.
    edited July 2016
    LOL, I was asking how you would describe my natural timbral quality. What are your thoughts on vocal weight?
    It turns out we weren't too far from the mark. I've got the dramatic weight.