Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How much time do you need to learn a song?

Hello to all!

I wonder if this question has been asked before.

How long does it take you to learn a song well and “nail” it?

Ok I have a full time job and it takes me at least 2 months to really own it. And that means that I repeat the song every day for 2 months... Does that seem too long?

Thanks....

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Depends on the song. If it varies a lot, or is near the top of the range, it may take longer. It's when you start to feel that you're nailing it that is the variable. A lot of this has to do with confidence, and we all deal with that in our own way.

The band I'm in takes a lot of chances, and we often try songs we've never done before live, in front of an audience. Usually, vocally we will have tried it on our own, but we try it with the band cold-turkey.

That's a big hurdle, surviving the song the first time in front of others. After doing that, it's no big deal. You might make a mistake or two, but if the audience is forgiving and realize you're taking a chance, it's usually fine. If the band crashes and has a trainwreck, you just dust yourself off, and get back on and ride again.

So, really, you can take a long time and get things worked-out, OR you can let people see you in the learning process.

I was asked to learn Tennessee Whiskey in the style of Chris Stapleton.
    I'm listening to it (when I get a chance) and taking note of all the vocal runs he does in the melody. I've practiced the first verse. As soon as I get through listening to the whole thing and noting all of the runs, I'll try it out at home. Then I'll be ready to do it in front of the audience that requested it. I'm hearing it in my head all the time now.

I have a couple of weeks before my next gig, so I should have time to get through the whole song at least a time or two, and then I'll be ready to walk the tightrope at a performance... without a net!

It's always fun to try it out the first time!

But there's nothing wrong with working those details out in advance. Just don't worry about people judging you. If you do a good job, they'll forgive any honest mistakes you might make. You learn by doing most of all.

All the Best!

Bob
  • JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    @highmtn
    Waow! so cool ....
    I guess that I am not that advanced yet... ... I wish I were ..

Thanks for sharing your inspiring experience..