Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Rock Singing Fatigue

Hello I am a vocalist in a Rock band called Joyous Wolf I have been singing in the band for about a year now and we've received many accolades in our short life time as a band. I am inquiring because I am experiencing some vocal fatigue. After our sets which can range from 30 minutes to an hour I am fine while on stage, and I don't feel any strain. But once I go to bed the same night and wake up the next morning I am in pretty rough shape. The style I sing in is shown in the live video below. Please lend me a hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m__og4B7pg

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You guys sound pretty good. The style you are using will wear on your voice if you don't train your voice to be able to sustain that kind of sound and learn to really use a lot of support and compression while cutting back the air. That's not something you can learn in a few paragraphs on a vocal forum, because it is dependent on learning the basic building blocks of good vocal techniques, and then applying all of those techniques in practical situations. In other words, you have to first learn the techniques and then practice them diligently so that they become automatic for you in live situations.

Ken Tamplin's methods are absolutlely what you need to learn before you blow your voice out, big-time. You have a good voice, but you need to train it to last you a lifetime.

All the Best!

Bob
  • Wow, amazing interpretation man, love it.
  • YötaYöta Member Posts: 6
    Wow, great stuff dude! I can suggest that a lot of problems you are talking about stem from the improper treatment of the voice before and after the show. The vocal apparatus is a delicate thing and you should treat it in an appropriate manner. No strain before and after the show. The right way to warm up is actually to build it up throughout the whole day before the show - some stretching exercises (I practice power-yoga for a few years now and it helped me a lot), a good warm shower, a lot of water and the vocal warm-up that starts from easy humming up to some more serious singing but without going to extremes. After the show a good warm (not hot) green tea with honey and preferably no talking, let alone screaming for an hour or two.