Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Back singing after a very long break

WaynebWayneb Member Posts: 11
Hi there guys,

My name is Wayne and I'm getting back into singing after a very long break. Been singing in weekend cover bands since I was about 16 or 17ish, but due to work and family commitments I decided to take a short break...which ended up lasting about 15 years! Now I'm in my mid 40s and thinking about getting back into it.

I was diagnosed with muscle tension dysphonia about two years ago after getting viral laryngitis, due to my job I wasn't able to take the necessary vocal rest to heal my voice so I made it considerably worse. Funny thing is it only affected my speech, my singing voice was as good as it's ever been if not better than when I was playing in my prime. Anyway that is pretty much sorted now, not 100% but much better than it was.

I do find that after talking for a long time or after singing, my throat feels gluggy like it's full of phlem, this is a bit of a hangover from the MTD and there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it. But anyway other than being out of practise my singing voice feels good, just tires easily, so I'm in need of a little technique tweaking...haha, didn't need that when I was in my 20s and 30s, could just belt it out for hours.

I've got the weekend warrior course and looking forward to getting back into it.

Cheers,
Wayne

Comments