Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Will drinking only water Improve your voice?

I'm aware that things like soda or drinks with lots of sugar can have negative impacts on your voice. I was hanging around lifehack.org and I ran up on two articles ( I'll post links below for those who are interested )that claim drinking only water and or honey water have lots of positive impacts on your body. At first glance, all this looks good. Water is all natural and super healthy and honey can help soothe the throat however, I know that things are not always as they seem. I wonder if I were to drink nothing but water for 30 days if it would have a noticeable effect on my voice. Has anyone here tried this or can you verify that this will help? Can something as simple as drinking water make a difference? Thanks guys, -XAK

( http://www.lifehack.org/355818/this-what-happens-when-you-drink-only-water-for-30-days )
( http://www.lifehack.org/304939/this-what-will-happen-when-you-start-drinking-honey-water-every-day )

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Drinking room-temperature water is great for the voice, for purposes of hydration. Your body needs to be well-hydrated in order to sing well. Just about anything else, like soft drinks, alcohol, and coffee have some problems associated with them regarding vocal health.

Honey is good for a lot of reasons, however, you don't want to coat your vocal cords with honey or anything else for that matter.

So for general health reasons it's probably fine to drink honey water, but you may find that honey water can be a little too thick and sticky on your cords. That may feel good if you have a sore throat, but could cause you to do more throat-clearing, which is not good for your voice.

Choosing water over other drinks can have a good effect on your singing. Choosing other drinks could have a bad effect on your singing.

In moderation, most things are OK unless you overdo it. Some things you should avoid altogether before singing (like dairy), but we all sometimes compromise those better choices. You must choose. But choose wisely...

Bob