Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Do you believe your voice is suited better for certain styles/range than others?

Just curious what people feel.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes and no. You just have to get in there and learn what feels and sounds the best. You'll have to try a lot of things in order to give those different styles a chance. You may be surprised at what you excel at.

I've been totally surprised at what I eventually have been able to diversify and accomplish with what I once thought was a very limited and bad-sounding voice.

I have people coming up to me all the time at performances telling me what a wonderful singer I am. I'm actually embarrassed by that, but flattered as well.

Follow your own ears and follow your heart. Some people may discourage you from trying certain genres or styles. Just give yourself a chance to have time to develop yourself without too much criticism. Critics can make you feel defeated when you haven't yet had enough of an opportunity to grow and learn. Learn all that you can and practice a lot. Dream a little. Your voice will emerge eventually, if not sooner.

All the Best!

Bob