Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!

NEED OPINIONS

Hey guys!
Just wanted to know, what would a keyboardist (or pianist) do when the band is live performing songs that do not require piano parts. Recently I've been lucky enough to be able to play live for small audiences at clubs with a band of my own, but it just so happens that this "band" has too many people in it. 2 guitar players, 1 bass player, 1 drummer, 1 pianist, and me.

Its all good when we try songs from Aerosmith and Queen, but whenever we try Iron Man, the pianist just sits there looking like an idiot (because there is no way we could fit piano into such a heavy song)

What do you guys think?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    More cowbell.

You can learn guitar, you can go offstage and bring back refreshments for the others, you can dance with someone... or you can play lowkey keyboard parts, unless they just don't fit. Let 3-piece power trio songs be played by a trio or a quartet. Sing backup parts. Do an interpretive dance. Go out front with the audience and clap and cheer when the song is over and get back up immediately when it's time for you to play again.
  • billthebaldguybillthebaldguy Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 54
    What Bob says. You could add accents with cowbell/shaker/rain sticks/tambourine, etc...as long as it fits in the song/sound.