Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Lip Burbles

For the life i can`t lip burble without pressing my cheeks upwards lightly from my jaw boneand even then i find it hard to alter pitch let alone do a scale. Are there any suggestions out there.

Comments

• vmalheirosvmalheiros Pro Posts: 105
    Well I can say that when I first started I had such a hard time with this, but now it has become soooooooooo easy.
  • SingorbustSingorbust Member Posts: 2
    How did you practise it to improve
  • vmalheirosvmalheiros Pro Posts: 105
    Well I started off very poorly, my lips would stop vibrating in the middle of some scales, but I kept on trying and doing it anyways. The secret is how much air you let out. You have to let out a constant stream of air, and you control that by using your diaphragm.
    It is very easy to do it if you use too much air, but DON'T do that. You want to use as little air as possible, just enough to get you through the exercise.
    I really like the lip burbles, because they help you to regulate airflow, which is KEY to great singing. That being said, keep trying and practicing, even if you don't get them perfectly in the beginning. As time goes on, you'll get better and better at it, to the point that you'll be able to hold back even more air. Good luck !
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It took me about 2 years before I could do lip trills without cheating. Then suddenly, I found that if I keep the air right in the center part of my lips I can control a smaller stream, instead of having the air distributed over a wider part of my lips. It's also a matter of relaxing the face when doing this, and as @vmalheiros pointed out, using support while doing the lip trills.

Just keep trying. One day you will suddenly start doing it with the right relaxation and focus of the air, and presto! It will become very easy for you, without holding on to your face.

It came as a surprise to me, because I was thinking that I just wasn't ever going to get it right.

Don't worry if it's not working for you now. It's not a deal-breaker, but it is a very useful exercises, so don't give up, either.

Bob