Home Welcome

Practice Passion and Persistence - The Perfect Combination

tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
edited August 2016 in Welcome
Welcome All KTVA Students,

I would like to share with you an experience of mine I am sure can be relatable to you. We all know as vocalists there are many ups and downs to progression and success. The key phrase we must remember is "failing forward" because with every failure, you are one step closer to success. I have been singing since I was 3, professionally since I was about 12 years old, and hit the music industry scene when I was 16 years old. With every form of criticism, I let it go, took it in, but never allowed it to rise to the surface. It is only recently after a solid hit of criticism that I found myself revisiting every other moment someone had put me down or expressed some form of discouragement of negativity. With a recent opportunity this year, I failed, and the overwhelming feelings that came with that caused a snowball effect. Since that opportunity till the beginning of this month, there was a slow and gradual decline to my self belief. I went from being confident in myself and my abilities, to not feeling confident at all. The psychology of singing and what Ken talks about is very true. Because of the negative talk I had developed, I found it affecting any form of vocal performance or practice. I went from "its okay, ill get there" to "I cant do this". Singing was and has always been all ive ever known and all of a sudden, I started feeling and thinking that singing was no longer a purpose of mine and yet, I still found myself trying. I still held on, never gave up and despite the little confidence, still believe this gift given to me had purpose. With time, conversation and tears I finally reached a breaking point. A point of success! Just when I thought that hope was diminishing, I broke through that wall; I broke through that glass sealing I felt was holding me down. I came to realise it was me! I was holding myself down from all that I could and can achieve. I started to become aware of my negative talk and made the effort to change it everytime. From "I cant do this" to "im gonna get it, maybe not today, but I will". This mentality changed my confidence and through the "failure" I had a breakthrough that has now made me feel unstoppable. Sometimes in life things have to get worse before they get better. In this instance, that is what happened to me. The whole experience reassured me of my passion, I persevered and with practice I am succeeding!

I am happy to share with you all, that despite the downfall and rough couple of months, I am back! With the support of not only my family, Ken Tamplin, my supporters and friends, but supporting and believing in myself!

In a week, I have released FOUR youtube cover videos and now a have a new-found confidence that I feel will carry me all the way. To anyone reading this my advice to you is this: No matter how hard it seems, how impossible it may appear to be, it is possible if you practice, maintain that passion and persevere! Through action you will discover your abilities to the fullest and through failure you will find your success!

If anyone wishes to see the progress and FOUR videos this past week you may do so below
----------------------
15.5.16 - since this post there have been updates on my videos that show improvement and constant work. Below are the latest videos including 2 original previews (babyprints)

ORIGINALS
Never Break Me Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOpA4yItwHQ

LifeLine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hqpKsG7kqo

COVERS

Can't help falling in love - Elvis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAo7Hplvwxk

Hopelessly Devoted to You - Grease
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBNS11aYt2o

One way ticket - Eruption
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH8kxUrK_dc

Good singing to you!
Rise above and love,
Mys T x

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    MysT,

It's good to hear from you. You have been through a lot of challenges. Sometimes the critics can be unkind, and then our own mind can take that criticism and run away with it. You have clearly worked very hard to develop your vocal skills, and many of us look up to you. It can be shocking to hear that someone with your abilities can be struck down with self-doubt. But excessive self-doubt and self-criticism can happen to any of us, especially when we work very hard and then are subjected to harsh critics. We are all vulnerable, and we are all human.

As you said, we have to find our peace within. If we believe the "I can't do this" lie, then we quickly start to believe it. It is amazing how self-talk within can undermine our ability to do things we are totally capable of accomplishing. We really do have to be able to change our mindset when we realize that we are beginning to think that way.

If you believe you can't, then you're probably right, because you won't let yourself succeed. If you believe you can, your chances of succeeding dramatically increase. There is an old saying: "Can't never did nothing", which means that self-discouragement is a huge obstacle to accomplishing any goal.

We each need to be our own cheerleader and also encourage those around us. In an environment like that, you will see much more success. In an environment of discouragement, you will experience little progress. Find truth, and believe in it. Be an encourager, not a discourager, especially to oneself.

Life can have many difficult challenges. Music is a tough business, and there is huge competition, and there is the possibility of rejection. We can't focus on that and move forward. We need to focus on the possible, and on how we are going to succeed despite those who might not want to see us succeed. We have to keep the faith in ourselves and in what is good about our quest to sing our hearts out and seek out opportunities to grow and prosper in our vocal lives.

Your tracks sound awesome, by the way.

Keep the Faith, MysT!

We believe in you.

Bob
  • tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
    highmtn said:

MysT,

It's good to hear from you. You have been through a lot of challenges. Sometimes the critics can be unkind, and then our own mind can take that criticism and run away with it. You have clearly worked very hard to develop your vocal skills, and many of us look up to you. It can be shocking to hear that someone with your abilities can be struck down with self-doubt. But excessive self-doubt and self-criticism can happen to any of us, especially when we work very hard and then are subjected to harsh critics. We are all vulnerable, and we are all human.

As you said, we have to find our peace within. If we believe the "I can't do this" lie, then we quickly start to believe it. It is amazing how self-talk within can undermine our ability to do things we are totally capable of accomplishing. We really do have to be able to change our mindset when we realize that we are beginning to think that way.

If you believe you can't, then you're probably right, because you won't let yourself succeed. If you believe you can, your chances of succeeding dramatically increase. There is an old saying: "Can't never did nothing", which means that self-discouragement is a huge obstacle to accomplishing any goal.

We each need to be our own cheerleader and also encourage those around us. In an environment like that, you will see much more success. In an environment of discouragement, you will experience little progress. Find truth, and believe in it. Be an encourager, not a discourager, especially to oneself.

Life can have many difficult challenges. Music is a tough business, and there is huge competition, and there is the possibility of rejection. We can't focus on that and move forward. We need to focus on the possible, and on how we are going to succeed despite those who might not want to see us succeed. We have to keep the faith in ourselves and in what is good about our quest to sing our hearts out and seek out opportunities to grow and prosper in our vocal lives.

Your tracks sound awesome, by the way.

Keep the Faith, MysT!

We believe in you.

Bob

Thanks @highmtn for the encouragement and understanding. I have read this book in the past called 'Slight Edge" by Jeff Olsen which I strongly encourage anyone who wants to succeed and change their mindset to read. In the book it states that you are as successful as the average of the 5 people surrounding you. In life, with any challenge, you just have to start with a penny which in this case means a positive action no matter how small, and soon enough, with compound, will become of great significance. Self-doubt is a challenge but through the experience true confidence can be discovered.
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300
    Thank you for sharing @tinaalcorace.
    kaulfers said:

Thank you for sharing @tinaalcorace.

No problem @kaulfers , hope it relates to many :)
  • cristianmrcristianmr Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 18
    Hi Tina,

The people criticism what they never could accomplish. They never could understand the effort you put in this. I don't know why are critics against You, but I know that the people are watching to you, and because of that, you have the opportunity to arise and show who you are and what are your capabilities. There's not many people walking against the current, and that's why You are so important, especially for your followers. You have a group of people who wants your success, and some of those people needs You, to have some hope in their life. Is good to know that the election is in yourself, and better to know your experience to know that not all is sing, how you show yourself to the world and agree those feelings, is important too.

Keep walking !

Cristian :)

Hi Tina,

The people criticism what they never could accomplish. They never could understand the effort you put in this. I don't know why are critics against You, but I know that the people are watching to you, and because of that, you have the opportunity to arise and show who you are and what are your capabilities. There's not many people walking against the current, and that's why You are so important, especially for your followers. You have a group of people who wants your success, and some of those people needs You, to have some hope in their life. Is good to know that the election is in yourself, and better to know your experience to know that not all is sing, how you show yourself to the world and agree those feelings, is important too.

Keep walking !

Cristian :)

Thank you Cristian for the support and kind words. You will always have a world of critics and they usually come from a place of little experience or negativity. Unless you say nothing, do nothing and be nothing, critics are part of the journey.

Rise above and love,
    Mys T
    www.mystofficial.com
  • markbmarkb Pro Posts: 76
    I salute you .... I have turned my back on people who have been negative towards me and i know it's about them really not me but it's destructive so i remove them from my life .... Having said that i welcome constructive criticism ... being destructive, in whatever shape or form that comes in is not a friendship. Your young and have a wonderful life ahead of you.
    markb said:

I salute you .... I have turned my back on people who have been negative towards me and i know it's about them really not me but it's destructive so i remove them from my life .... Having said that i welcome constructive criticism ... being destructive, in whatever shape or form that comes in is not a friendship. Your young and have a wonderful life ahead of you.

Thanks @markb , absolutely agree with you. There is a saying that you are the average of the top 5 people you hang around. If you surround yourself with negativity and insecurity, you become apart of the average. In contrast, if the top 5 people you surround yourself with are dreamers, hard workers, and think positively, constructively and realistically, you have a better chance at success. Motivation is a key factor to success and without it, there is no progress.

Since writing this post I have had a fair few more experiences of certain people virtually telling me I am only a singer and will not amount to much or are somewhat incapable to achieve what my challenging goals. To that I say, content in any area can be taught; it can be learnt, however, a driving and humble persona cannot and that is more than enough to climb the ladder. My advice to you and anyone who may read this is: use any negativity, lack of faith and capability someone may have on you as FUEL to FLOOR IT!

Good singing to you
    Rise above and love,
    Mys T
    www.mystofficial.com
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    My personal favourite is 'well, as long as you enjoy what you do...'

Thanks for sharing :)

So heartfelt..

Love your original work!

What a voice

Makes me wonder though ...

If you dont mind me asking, how did you work out and what technique did you use before KTVA ?

Thanks @JeffDenmark , the purpose is just that. My technique prior to ken was a quarter of what I know now. Ken tamplin and his vocal technique eradicated any flaws and clarified any technical errors that previously were marked "correct"by so called professional vocal coaches. At the end of the day, technique I was taught or advised was determined by how it felt. If it hurt or felt uncomfortable I simply didnt do it and followed my instincts. As ken says, if your coach cant demonstrate and explain and their students cant either then thats a big red flag

Happy singing to you!
  • Tomara92Tomara92 Pro Posts: 4
    I have been through the same thing has far has people putting me down and have quit practicing it's funny that you are sharing the same struggle has me. I most admit that I have felt the same way and funny enough today was the first time I started practicing in a long time I needed that , I really did
    Tomara92 said:

I have been through the same thing has far has people putting me down and have quit practicing it's funny that you are sharing the same struggle has me. I most admit that I have felt the same way and funny enough today was the first time I started practicing in a long time I needed that , I really did

Fantastic @Tomara92 , fantastic to hear! Keep at it.