Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How can you tell which note you are on?

Hello there folks, I am completely new to this site, heck I only just discovered Ken Tamplin about a month ago and have already made a strategy of how to afford his courses! But my question here is... How can you tell which note you are on? I mean I can definitely hear a difference between notes when I hear them, but I have no clue on how people tie their note to the sound from a guitar for example, I personally assume it is because of intense training.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you all.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @Victor_ian

It's called "Pitch-Matching"

You listen to a note, and hear it in your head. You then sing and match that note. You have to become accurate at it. It involves active listening. You have to not only "hear" it, you have to "listen" to the pitch. To Know what note you are on, you would need an instrument, like a guitar or piano, that you could find the same note on, and look to see what note that is... OR you could use a software program to tell you what note you are on.

If you don't have the ability to tell the difference in pitches to the extent that you can match pitches that you hear, you will have to work very hard to learn to listen and make corrections to your pitch. One way to sharpen your skills at this would be to find an inexpensive keyboard instrument at a second-hand store. Play random notes on it, and sing back the note for the random notes you play. Record that and listen back. How are you doing? Are you close? Can you tell whether the notes you sing match the notes you played?

The next step would be to learn to play some simple chords on that keyboard. Find some simple songs and play the simple chords to the song, and sing along. Record it. Does it sound like you're singing the right notes?

You can find charts on the internet that tell you the names of the notes on a keyboard. Use that information and pitch-matching to figure out what notes you are singing.

All the Best.

Bob
  • Victor_ianVictor_ian Pro Posts: 4
    Thank you so much for this, that was a massive help, I have some what of an idea when I actually do it, but I have absolutely no clue on the EXACT notes, so that would be a smart way of doing it with a keyboard.