Home Off Topic
Options

Queen's new singer

PeteMurphyPeteMurphy Enrolled Posts: 95
edited May 2012 in Off Topic
Heya guys,

I'm not really intending to start a discussion on whether Brian May and Roger Taylor should still be using the 'Queen' name (although in my opinion, Freddie was one of the greatest singers/performers/songwriters/arrangers in the history of pop music, and I think that without Freddie and John Deacon it ISN'T Queen)...

This guy, Marc Martel, won some kind of contest to sing for Queen, and regardless of what I said in the previous paragraph I do think this guy has a great voice.
One thing that really struck me when I watched it is that it all seems so effortless for him. Even when he starts belting or hitting high notes there doesn't appear to be any kind of tension, his neck looks totally relaxed, etc..
Do you think this is mainly a case of having REALLY good support, or are there other factors at play here?

Check it out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dREKkAk628I

Comments

• Options
    GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140

Yes this guy does sound amazing! And he even looks like a young Freddie! The whole shape of his head and face is so similar, and this must be a factor getting a similar sound. You mention about him singing so effortlessly. I would imagine he has had some vocal training to achieve this.

Take a look at the performance of Queen playing at Live Aid in 1985 (one of the most amazing performances in rock history) and check out the tension and bulging neck veins during Freddie's close-ups. I don't think Freddie had any vocal training. 

I think I read that Brian May and Roger Taylor were actually putting together an official Queen tribute band made up of four, young, unknown musicians. The thinking was they themselves are getting on a bit now and were looking to create some way of carrying on the music being played live to the high standard that Queen fans would expect.

All four members of Queen are/were execptional, and can't be replaced. Some tribute bands are very good at recreating the sound of the record, but I always prefer the unpredictabilty of seeing the genuine article:-)

• Options
    ragnarragnar Pro Posts: 410
    Yeah he's awesome that guy. Bound to be a combination of great support and therefore no strain in addition having such good placement that he sits effortlessly in the pocket throughout.
  • Options
    KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    This is a bit late but I thought I commented here before. If I'm not mistaken that's not full chest and is rather a heady mix on those high notes along with some chest into it. Hence it seems effortless.
  • Options
    MichaelSMichaelS Pro Posts: 73

Hi, Pete!

I agree about Freddie. Freddie is my favorite singer and yes, without Freddie it`s not Queen. But don`t worry about this guy. I  also saw on the Youtube as Brian May told him Yes, but not in order to sing in the Queen,
    But in order to sing in  Queen Extravaganza - the official Queen tribute show

http://www.queenextravaganza.com/the-band/marc-martel-vocals-piano/

http://www.queenextravaganza.com/

I believe, Brian and Roger is correct. Even making the album with Paul Rodgers, they didn't call it the Queen, they called it the Queen plus Paul Rodgers. It is not quite Queen of course, but no one replace Freddie. It`s impossible, I'm sure.