Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Not breaking

So I have a problem with a song by muse. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU88nehcnBY What does he use to reach the highest note in the chorus is it higher chest voice or a head voice? In the chorus when I go up to the highest note my voice flips into falsetto. What exercises should I concentrate on to sing it like he does?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It's a mixed voice, less airy than falsetto. Exercises to help you condition your voice to get there would be 1 octave sliders.
  • hoOphoOp Member Posts: 8
    Thank you for your answer. Just to clarify, whats sound should I use for this sliders and how do I deal with the place where my voice breaks? Do I have to try keeping chord closure and pushing from diaphragm, or do I just need to let my voice flip?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You need to learn to connect the chest voice to the head voice without the break. You should practice the sliders on all vowels: Ah, eh, Ee, Oh, Ooh, doing one vowel at a time.
  • hoOphoOp Member Posts: 8
    Ok I got it :) One more thing is Ken says you have to stretch your chest as far as you can, but how do I know where my limit is?
    You will reach your limit when you can't sustain the notes any higher. It takes a lot of time, and you have to move along slowly over the course of time. If you get to C5, you're doing pretty good, but that could take you months or more to get there, and you need a complete program to have all the tools and instructions to do so correctly and safely.