Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

need help with an issue

dingodingo Enrolled Posts: 119
hi everyone. i have recently moved and am temporarily staying with a relative of my husband.

Every time i am practising and working on a song, she will start to sing with me. i mean i am in my bedroom with the door closed and she is in the living room and i can hear her and it is very very distracting.

i haven't said anything to her yet. What should i say to to her?

Best Answer

• GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140
    Answer ✓

Actually, the car idea is quite a good one;  Ken said he sometimes does this when staying in hotels and needs to practice/warm up loudly without disturbing other guests. although you are restricted to remaining seated. 

The thing is you really do need complete peace and quiet to totally focus on what you are doing. Probably not a good idea to be actually driving while practising in your car  though:-)

Finding an acoustically good place to practice/rehearse/workout your voice without being disturbed or without disturbing other people is a major concern for all singers. Roll on two weeks time when you can get back to your own space:-) 

Answers

• GuevaraGuevara Enrolled Posts: 140

Hello Dingo,

Yes I can see that this would be distracting for you; however it is her house so you need to be tactful.

Firstly, did you explain to her before hand about what are up to and seek permission to practise your singing while you are staying? She may not realise that you are actually working.

Secondly, Is there a regular period in the day/evening when you are alone in the house when you could schedule your practise.

Thirdly, If not then maybe explain to her gently that while you think she has a lovely singing voice you are finding it is distracting you from your own singing practise/work which you will limit to only one hour a day, while you are staying, so it does not become annoying for her. Or you could ask her in for a jam session:-) 

How long are you planning to stay?  Let us know how things progress.

I hope this is of some help, good luck, Gary   

• dingodingo Enrolled Posts: 119
    I have only been able to practice a few times.

i have been doing it in the car where i can have peace and quiet lol.

maybe i will just wear a headset so i cant hear her or her kids screaming.

i really don't want to say anything to her after all. she seems the type to blow a gasket.

i might be here another 2 weeks or so until my house is ready.
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    If you can't come to terms with her, I suppose to just find a different alternative then. Like what Guevara suggested. A certain time when she and her kids aren't at home would be great.

Your own idea of practising in the car is great too. However do remember when seated you lose 70% of your support which makes you easily inhibit bad habits. Do focus your mind on your workout and remember to support well when doing in the car :D!
    well this seems to have worked itself out.

i have Ken's audio up loud enough I cant hear her any more and I took my hearing aids out so no sound is amplified from external places.

I am getting a lot out of singing the exercises rather quietly. It seems i have more precision. It is pretty hard to sing quietly with support and not breathy.

Then in the car I can do them any volume I want.

I forgot to mention I actually found a good place outside to sing and not be bothered. I drive out a bit and there are some fields so i park next to the field and sing to the crops and there is another one with sheep. Crops haven't died or anything and no complaints from the sheep so all good.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
  • KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOL! HAHAHA! That's awesome! Well I'm sure the crops will grow better :P

Oh and yes it is difficult to sing quietly with support and not breathy. That's because to sing quietly in our upper mid range, we'd need to use head voice. So if we were singing it up there in full chest and want to slowly make it softer, we have to slowly MIX in head voice without adding air. Takes lots of practice and requires a good head voice and chest voice and passagio!