Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Natural Sounding Quiet and High

Okay, this is a tough question to articulate but here goes...Is there a different mechanism or technique if you're singing a song with a quiet/mellow vox in a higher range when you're "imitating" a singer with a much higher voice?? For ex: If a low baritone is singing an alto/tenor's song around E4-G#4 and the singer is practically talking, the baritone is almost functioning as a ventriloquist or something, right?? I mean, you're basically throwing your voice up and talk/singing in your version of a higher speaking voice? Does anyone have any thoughts or knowledge on this concept?? My explanation is atrocious, I know. Haha!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    There are a number of different "placements" of the voice, and it depends on where your natural singing or speaking voice "sits" when you are fully relaxed and just speaking, or when you are elevated or situated low for different uses, like when somebody is breaking into your car down the street, and you use a lot of emphasis, or if you are speaking like an announcer in a deep voice, etc...

So you may have to go to another register, or simply adjust laryngeal position, or widen the pharynx, etc...

There are many adjustments and sounds you may want to emulate, and each one has its own characteristics.

You may use "little boy voice" or "big giant voice" or just about anything. They're all different "setups" of the voice, and, depending on where you normally reside vocally, you may need to warm-up to that different place to "set" the voice there.
  • jimmygneccofanjimmygneccofan Member Posts: 25
    highmtn said:

There are a number of different "placements" of the voice, and it depends on where your natural singing or speaking voice "sits" when you are fully relaxed and just speaking, or when you are elevated or situated low for different uses, like when somebody is breaking into your car down the street, and you use a lot of emphasis, or if you are speaking like an announcer in a deep voice, etc...

So you may have to go to another register, or simply adjust laryngeal position, or widen the pharynx, etc...

There are many adjustments and sounds you may want to emulate, and each one has its own characteristics.

You may use "little boy voice" or "big giant voice" or just about anything. They're all different "setups" of the voice, and, depending on where you normally reside vocally, you may need to warm-up to that different place to "set" the voice there.

Thanks. Right. So, follow rules of healthy singing and watch/read/listen to Ken's different techniques for "imitating" other vocal styles/sounds. :smiley:
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    edited October 2016

I think I know what you're saying and that's exactly what I'm currently working on!
    Here's a C5 sang at a relatively low volume.
    I did this to really get into my Chesty Mix rather than a Chesty Belt, so it is overly closed down and dark but it may help ya. Not a sound i'd recommend singing with but its a good way to find a (overly) mixed upper chest note.

Ha! I was just listening to that. Very cool and useful stuff. Looking forward to learning from and listening to your tunes and examples!!
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    There's also another configuration that is possibly even closer to what you're talking that I'm currently working on but its way, way later down the track. It's kind of what Ken uses in the Divas workouts and there's an exercise in The head voice volume that really nails You're Innner 'Steve Perry' and 'Sebastion Bach'... I haven't got this together yet because my stupid brain goes 'This sound is so easy, Don't worry about support'. So Im still working on stabilising it and making it consistent.
    Lookin fwd to it!