Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Matt from Chicago

Hi Everybody,

Bought the downloadable copy a few months ago, on volume 2 now. My goals are to be able to do heavy metal vocals(think Lamb of God, Slipknot) while also being able to sing through a wide range. My issue has always been I get worn out quickly doing the heavy metal vocals and the two seem to fight each other. I couldn't seem to find a teacher that could help me overcome these obstacles. I had seen KTVA around on the internet a few times, but it was really a webinar that got me to buy it. I saw HUGE improvements in my singing voice just after volume 1(I've only been a vocalist for 2 years), but now I'm back in a metal band and am having trouble translating again.

I'm worried I hurt myself, and also worried I'm going to find out I am trying to move too fast jumping into such a demanding band, which brought me to the forum. Going to poke around to see if there's any talk of injury, how to fix it now, and how to avoid it in the future. Nice to meet everyone!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, mstorey!

Be careful. The way most singers hurt their voices is by oversinging, whether through trying to overcome bad monitors or bands that just play too loud, or just from overly-loud singing.

You can spare yourself a lot of setbacks if you'll just realize that this will take time, and in the meantime, you will have to do whatever it takes to avoid oversinging.

Eventually you will have gone through enough training to know the techniques to keep your voice in check, but even then it takes a while to actually embed those practices and avoid the temptation to scream on oversing.

Good to hear from you. Do check the forums for existing posts. We're here to help you on your journey!

Bob
  • mstoreymstorey Pro Posts: 4
    Thanks for the response Bob! Good news is I seem to have cured the issue that caused me to get hurt/fatigued to that point, and volume 2 is coming along quite nicely now that I've been at it for a few weeks.

Bad news is tonal sacrifices have to be made to sing the way I want without hurting myself, but I do believe these sacrifices are only temporary until I build a strong enough voice.