Home Off Topic

Finding MIX VOICE!

coljacolja Member Posts: 45
I tried singing A4s with mix. I can reach them with chest, but then my throat starts hurting. What I did was I tried singing it very quietly with chest voice! I cracked a lot, then once I didn't I could add more air and make it a very powerful note! I'm not sure if it was in mix or not, but it sounded very chesty! I'll soon be uploading a recording so that you guys could tell me!

Another question! A tenor's second passaggio is around G4-A4 (for high tenors). Does that mean that they can only sing up to G4-A4 in chest, or that they can sing comfortably up to there? Because G4 sounds low for a tenor... just asking! Thanks!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    A tenor (or a baritone, for that matter) can stretch their chest voice to go up to C5 or better, depending on how they work their voice. In that case, their passaggio would be more like B4 or C5. They could still opt to go into head voice lower if they chose to do so. But they could also opt to stay in chest voice up to their limit, whatever that might be.
  • coljacolja Member Posts: 45
    highmtn said:

A tenor (or a baritone, for that matter) can stretch their chest voice to go up to C5 or better, depending on how they work their voice. In that case, their passaggio would be more like B4 or C5. They could still opt to go into head voice lower if they chose to do so. But they could also opt to stay in chest voice up to their limit, whatever that might be.

Thanks for the info! But do passaggios exist then? Like for high tenor an A4. Is that like before training? I'm really confused :P
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, passaggios do exist, but the more you train correctly on them (or defying the limitations that they impose), the less of an obstacle they become and the more you can resist shifting into other registers and simply stay in chest register up to higher notes.
    highmtn said:

Yes, passaggios do exist, but the more you train correctly on them (or defying the limitations that they impose), the less of an obstacle they become and the more you can resist shifting into other registers and simply stay in chest register up to higher notes.

Interesting... So would that be called "belting"? Or just simply increasing your range?
    Belting is typically done with more volume. You can sing in chest voice on higher notes at a moderate volume, without belting, or you can belt in chest voice at a higher volume. Stretching your chest voice is about increasing the range of your chest voice, at whatever volume you are wanting to use.
    highmtn said:

Belting is typically done with more volume. You can sing in chest voice on higher notes at a moderate volume, without belting, or you can belt in chest voice at a higher volume. Stretching your chest voice is about increasing the range of your chest voice, at whatever volume you are wanting to use.

Oh ok, thanks!