Home Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy - The PRO's Vocal Method

Next time you're feeling "too old" to sing or perform - read this.

NigelNigel Administrator Posts: 138
Hey guys,

I have this discussion with Ken on a semi regular basis, how age relates to the ability to perform.  Well, even though I can't sing my way out of a paper bag (I'm just the web guy and administrator) I have been in the music business as a photographer for a long time and one of my favorite bands is Motorhead.

Before you laugh, I want you to check out their tour schedule and remember that lead vocalist and bassist Lemmy is 66 years old and tours around the world continually and records a new album every two years.  Also remember that his style of "singing" is extremely stressful.

Just remember, you are never too old - check out tour schedule, current and past:  Motorhead Tour Schedule

I hope you get a chuckle and some motivation from this :)

Nigel

Comments

• KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    edited March 2012
    Hahaha thanks for the info Nigel! I'll read this in another 48 years :P! Though this does motivate the younger ones to not give up!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

So, Nigel, was one of those full-body Motorhead Tattoos you?

Bob

• NigelNigel Administrator Posts: 138
    Bob,  sssshhhhh!
  • dingodingo Enrolled Posts: 119
    Thanks. I needed this today.

There are quite a few in their 60s still touring. It's great.
  • PeteMurphyPeteMurphy Enrolled Posts: 95
    Also check out Doug Pinnick from Kings X. He's in his 60's and his voice is amazing - so soulful, but he can also scream with the best of 'em. His range is phenomenal!
  • jpachecolmjpachecolm Enrolled, 2.0 PRO Posts: 40
    I love this topic. As an oldster too, early 40's, I run into the you're too old to be playing that music thing. I keep my body in good shape and my mind as well. I will not succumb to the "too old" tag. I may never be a star, but if I can continue to do what I love and enjoy it, I'm all for it.
  • FarawayGuyFarawayGuy Pro Posts: 38
    edited January 2013
    Hi, Nigel! Oh! That's really cool! I would not give the guy more than 50! Thanks for the link - now I feel like a youngster!
  • DavidGDavidG Pro Posts: 65
    FarawayGuy

I'm 52,  - hope that helps

• MichaelSMichaelS Pro Posts: 73

Another great guy:

Tom Jones: 'Burning Hell' Live Session

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIO8z4yOA8w

P.S. How  you are doing the youtube videos built in the page?

edited January 2013
    @MichaelS Tom is perfect, as usual! I do love his songs!
    @DavidG that's good - we have a team of oldsters here! Well, well, well! Then: Show must go on! :)
  • DavidGDavidG Pro Posts: 65
    @FarawayGuy ha! -  having said that - there's no guarantee that I'll act my age! :)
  • Hi Guys
    Theres,s hope for me yet!! I,m 69 in 3 weeks. Rock on. I say
    Alan
  • deyjeydeyjey Pro Posts: 29
    im 29 and started singing 3years ago now im planning to study piano and more vocals so i can teach after 5years maybe.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited November 2016
    @Alan_Homent,

There is definitely hope for you. Keep on Rockin'!
    :^)

Bob
  • viniciusoliveiraviniciusoliveira Enrolled Posts: 303
    I keep wondering why the vocals of Robert Plant and Geddy Lee sound way lower than when them were young.
    I don't think it has only to do with aging.
    That guy from lover boy,Michael jackson and Anthony green always sounded the same.
  • ebackeback Member, 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    I'm turning 62 and have played guitar all my life. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to sing very well at all. At this point in life, with a few years until retirement, I'd like to develop a sufficiently competent singing voice, to be able to do well at open mics, cafes, church, and informal get-togethers. I was playing through Paul McCartney's "Bluebird" this afternoon and found that my problem areas were cracking between chest and head, incorrect pitch at times, and weak/wimpy quality of sound. Thinking of recording myself now with a followup in three months. Good idea?
    Yes. Good idea. Keep doing a recording every 3 months. Then compare in a year. You'll notice even more by then.
  • olskoololskool Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 68
    Yeah, keeping a log will keep your enthusiasm up. Try and not miss a day and don't push yourself too hard either. It will all work out. Improvements are always gradual, but that's the best way forward. Wish you all the best.
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
    Oh yes I agree. My dad is almost 70 - he's touring all over the country like crazy, records his songs at home when he's not on tours)))
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @highmtn, Last month I followed your advice and I did a dry a Capella recording of a couple of pieces by Ray Gillen and Robert Mason. I kept it simple by going straight into an iPhone to bide my time while I was waiting for a ride.
    It will be interesting to do them (or something similar come the end of March B)
  • JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    Hi guys!

I am looking for female older singers who still sing and peform in front of an audience. Except Aretha Franklin, who else do you know? I need models, I have the intention to perform when I retire, I have a dream...
  • Furious_PhilFurious_Phil Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,421
    @Joyce,

How about Bonnie Raitt, Barbra Streisand, Dionne Warwick...
  • I cant tell if you are asking about the mature female singers here at our forum, or if you are asking for mature singers that are popular in the industry so................

There are other mature women who are also students that sing and perform.
    As far as successful female artists go..............

Pat Benetar - Tina Turner - Celine Dion - Stevie Nicks - Reba McCintyre - Dolly Parton - Natalie Cole - Ann Wilson

• JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    Oops! Natalie Cole passed away last year!

Thanks a lot @Furious_Phil and @videoace , yes I like Pat Benatar, she still rocks!!
  • rickhodge88rickhodge88 STREAMING PRO Posts: 16
    I’m 42 and I’ve had it in my mind that my voice has been on the decline because of my age but just by watching some of the YouTube clips and implementing and practicing what Ken teaches in them I noticed almost immediate differences. I just joined the academy April 1 so I’m looking forward to seeing how far this will help me grow my voice. Glad to be here!
    @rickhodge88,
    The longer you stick with it, the more your voice will continue to strengthen and grow.
  • SongwriterXSongwriterX STREAMING PRO Posts: 5
    Yeah I'm getting up there in age and even though I took years of voice lessons when I was much younger I was 'losing it', could feel myself going backwards. I started with Ken in January and now I'm going forward again, my voice getting better and better. Can't wait to see where I'm at in 6 months!
  • AlyonaAlyona Member, Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 288
  • MikeRoyMikeRoy 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    I’m 62. I’ve been singing since I was 6 or so. I’ll stop when I die.
  • dekkdekk 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    I turn the big 3-0 in a week and I've often caught myself thinking I'm too old to "succeed" in music since even though I've been working on it since I was in high school. "Whoops, you missed your chance! Time to burn down your studio room and take up shuffleboard."

But then I realize that if I didn't have the ability to make music, I wouldn't be living the life I want to live. I'd be miserable. So whether or not there's any measurable standard of success I can achieve, I take solace in the fact that no matter what, I'll be making music anyway. It's unavoidable and it's the root goal in itself. If I won the lottery I'd go out the next day and buy more gear.

When you take the element of choice out of it and just realize that no matter what, your passion will make itself a part of your life, the stress of being too old for anything goes away.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Oh boy, @dekk,

I turned the big 4-0 ... I think ... let's guess ... uoh ... (please don't tell anyone) 8 years ago. Thanks god I started singing several months ago. This will take me alive. :D

Greetings from Germany,
    Doc
  • The big 3-0? I wish I could be 30 again (then again.....maybe not) lol.

I'm 54, and there are people in their 60s, and maybe 70s here so it's never too late.

Making it, and success. What exactly does it mean for each individual?
    For me, being able to complete a really good song is success. If I can get people to listen to it without using a firearm, even better! ha ha.
    I'm not really sure if I equate getting rich, and famous as "making it". Becoming "rich, and famous" has ruined a lot of peoples lives for one reason or another.

Peace, Tony
  • dekkdekk 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    videoace said:

I'm not really sure if I equate getting rich, and famous as "making it". Becoming "rich, and famous" has ruined a lot of peoples lives for one reason or another.

Yup, it's true. Whenever I get caught up in thinking of "success" as an external factor, I remind myself that the only definition of success that matters is my own - and I'm a far better musician now than I was ten years ago, so it's hard to see anything but happiness in that and even better "success" in the future.
  • VocalityVocality 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,601
    edited November 2018
    Well I'm 44 don't drink or smoke, I eat well and keep fit with regular execise alongside my vocals to help build strength. 3 weeks in the KTVA course and noticing improvements across the board.

I think if you make the right choices in health and fitness. Can help maintain and grow the voice better when you get older. I know a singer who is 70 and has good tone and can reach the high notes as well. I think he would benefit from this course and have mentioned to him.

This course gave me hope because though it was too late for me to become a singer and now here really enjoying the journey.
  • doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978
    Hi George ( @Vocality ),

it is great to meet you here and there (Youtube Live Streams). It is so good to see that you are willing to help other singers. Please stay with it. I have noticed that I am the one who benefits the most from answering questions from other colleagues. You will benefit, too. It is very cool to see how colleagues like @Michael4000 or @Dynaton progress through perfect practice - as Ken calls it.

And I can read in and between the lines you write that you are already progressing. Just stay with us. You will progress.

Greetings from Germany to our scottish friends,
    Doc
    Hi @doc_ramadani

Great to hear from you again really amazed at the progress so far gonna up load another lah triad towards end of this week for a progress indicator. Sorted out the lip burble opening the chest 1/2 to 3/4 full, diaphram and breath made all the difference.

Still to be mindful of the check list.

KTVA Forums are really helpful especially when starting out, I don't want to take a wrong turn and keep going. Some of those demo videos more advanced students post can answer alot of questions and act as a good guide.

Kind Regards
    Doc

Hi George,

so good to hear from you. Yes, I was amazed myself how much progress I made within the first weeks ... and then ... oh, while getting better ... I figured out so many things that I could be able to do much better. And, guess what, I got better! :-)

And you will be too.

Cheers,
    Doc

PS.: Looking forward to your next upload.

• LoneWolfRogueLoneWolfRogue 2.0 PRO Posts: 265
    But what if you're a 31 year old newbie with only singing in the car and alone experience cause you copied your favorite singer on the radio or CD? I wish I had started younger but the passion grew more after schooling plus I don't have much if any self confidence so never sure I'm good enough.
    @LoneWolfRogue I think alot of us have these regrets and confidence issues, there's moment where I had doubts that singing was going to happen due to pitch issues. After applying a few extra pitch workouts prior to my main audio workout it's much better now.

This course tought me your never too late and if you apply yourself with regular audio workouts and work at all the things in the tutorial videos, along with using the forum as support.

When you see the improvements in the coming weeks it's rewarding and makes you want improve even further.

Regards

George
    Thanks George I needed that, ok I'll keep trying I'll try again maybe on a different song

Thanks again so much. Hopefully my low self confidence tank will fill up even if it's one gallon lol
    @LoneWolfRogue

Just be patient it won't happen overnight, gradual improvements and try to concentrate on doing the scales, support and lah ah vowel and getting them correct first thats where the biggest improvements will be gained.

George
    Ok George I can do that :) thanks so much for your help oh and if you want to see where I'm at. Here is a sample of what I've done so far. It's not good but gotta start somewhere right? https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G_m6Hs62Xdjre1Z0ucVNaVOR-iLc6-gl/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks again!

Rogue
    @LoneWolfRogue bit like me when I started see potential but only so far your voice will go without professional training. All those audio work outs will improve all aspects of your voice and you will be able to sing that song with alot more freedom.

Won't go into things too much on that song, some other guys like @highmtn, @HuduVudu, @videoace, @doc_ramadani, @Michael4000 more experienced will guide you better.

Keep going you will improve in time.
    Thanks Vocality

I'm an open book so any advice you wanna put in it please feel free to do so! Again it's hard when a lady like me sings a man's song and you want it to sound just right but you know it won't be exactly the same but I don't know many rock songs by women that I like to sing. I wish I could afford the package where I can have a Skype session with Ken but funds are tight with this.

So keep doing the same or focus more on breath or diaphragmatic support?

Thanks again!

Rogue
    @LoneWolfRogue Focus on getting the Diaphramatic breathing support correct first (Really Important), have you downloaded volume 1. Watch all the volume 1 tutorial videos and practice applying these techniques.

Also there's a document maps the coursework Volume 1 Manual read through it's a good guide.

It's alot to take in initially once you get established with the audio workouts scales, well on the way to improvements Try to leave the singing songs to a little later.

Regards
    George
    Hi George, @Vocality

Very nice that you help our new member Rogue { @LoneWolfRogue ).

Doc

PS.: Sorry, that I am a little bit short in time.
    @doc_ramadani

It's in my nature to help others, after all I was helped alot here myself and nice to give a little guidance to new starts.

George
  • David1954David1954 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    Hello to everyone
    I just joined KTVA and I am excited about the potential that I see in this community for me to grow my voice.
    I’m 64 and I’ve been playing guitar most of my life. I’ve played in bands but was never willing to sing in public. A few years back friend of mine, an actual professional musician, got me and some of our other musical friends together for some jamming. We formed a band and started doing open mics and even got a few unpaid gigs with me doing most of the singing. I recently took a jazz singing workshop class and have been getting into the jazz singing. Singing on stage with professional accompaniment and no guitar to hide behind has really shown a spot light on my weaknesses.

So far for singing as with the guitar I have found that if I'm willing to put in the time and practice the right way I should be able to continue to grow well into my later years. Two of my band mates are 70 and one of them just started playing the guitar when he was 66.

David
    Great Story, @David1954, and never forget what Ken tells us so often. A Singer is only because has the guts to be a Singer. Doc
  • CountryguyCountryguy 2.0 PRO Posts: 43
    Cool post!
    I'm 67,play 2 -4 times a month,usually 4set shows,it keeps you young.
    💪🤟
  • mistic_impmistic_imp 2.0 PRO Posts: 23
    edited June 2019
    haha , i feel like alot of peoples voices actually improve with age. I am not sure why all the lime light is always given to the youngsters..

But that said at 37 i got back into singing a couple years ago after not singing for like 15 years , due to having perfomance anxiety. I was worried at 34/35 i was TOO old to even sing anymore due to societal pressures and media. But now i think that is just silly..

when i was studying voice seriously in my teens and 20s it was like, your not good enough .. so uh i just quit,i threw away like 10 years of singing practice lessons etc. because i was being stupid and immature. I didn't have any support or guidance, or a forum like this to inspire me. But now i look back and it is just stupid years, wasted. I was DUMB and it took some major life events to make me realize this. I feel like as i approach 40 I have wasted to much time worrying about stupid crap... so , i gotta make the most of everything and do what i LOVE to do. So that is exactly what I am gonna do! LOL

All you older singers & musicians inspire me so much <3<3 I think that it is total BS that society tries to tell us that we can't make it after 40 or that in my generation you have to make it by 25! #nevertoooldtorock

• mistic_impmistic_imp 2.0 PRO Posts: 23
    @LoneWolfRogue ( and everyone elsegoing though emotions that i did.. ) just do it don't waste time thinking about if you good enough.. everyone starts some where!
  • DingerDinger Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 6
    I am 52 years old now.. been singing for goodness knows how long...but let me tell you. I had to perform for Warner Brothers Movie World Fright Nights Australia QLD 3 years ago. The number of The Beast... Big Song right? I was shiting my pants and thought what do I do. I came across Ken's Course and it changed my life.not only did I pull off singing the song, but noticed a massive difference in just one week. 3 years Later I sing for 4 hours straight in my solo gigs no breaks with a higher register and and no fatigue. Even longer sometimes. Ken Thank you mate. please follow his course outlines and you will flourish

Thanks for your comment, @Dinger.

Ken's methods really do work. Age is not an issue if you take care of your voice and follow Ken's instructions fully. Your voice will just keep getting better and better. And your pants will thank you.
  • TimburTimbur 2.0 PRO Posts: 52
    I am glad I found this thread, I was just thinking about age and singing on my way to work this morning. I am 53 years young. I am in the best shape of my life, I work out twice a day, three times if you count walking the dog a mile a day. That along with Ken's course has me loving the journey and there is no end in sight.
    This program is tremendous and I can't wait to practice each and every day.
  • simi4212simi4212 2.0 PRO Posts: 17
    So happy to have found this thread. I am in my 30's but some people can't resist throwing out comments like "I am too old to be taking lessons" and that "I should have done it a long time ago". It's good to see singers supporting each other and glad to be a part of this community, albeit online.
    We all "should have" done Ken's course long ago, but we found it whenever we found it. The important thing is to get started. That means that if you do the exercises and learn the techniques, that the rest of your singing life will be that much better. The longer you work at it, it just keeps getting better.
  • mookiemumookiemu 2.0 PRO Posts: 2
    I'm 57. I can't believe it. I'm singing better than I've ever sung. Singing songs that I thought would be impossible for me to sing. I did Karaoke the other day and sung a song that would have been impossible for me a year ago "wish it would rain" by the Temptations. I wish I had this course when I was 21. Things would have been different.
  • GratitudeGratitude 2.0 PRO Posts: 4
    I had a singing teacher who was 86 and was still performing on piano while he sang. Ken Tamplin is the best singing teacher I've ever had though.
  • LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    I am an older singer too, and of all the vocal coaches I have had over the years--Ken's course was the one that really transformed my voice. It can be done! Hopefully when this virus comes under control, my band and I will be out playing and seeing people on the dance floors again!
  • B8ssist_58B8ssist_58 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    I haven’t sung in bands in several years. Use to do mostly background vocals because I had a good voice and could harmonize well. Now at 60, I just want to sing to the best of my ability. I had a set back with starting this course due to cancer, but now that my treatments are done I plan on going at it full time.
  • MrMilesRMrMilesR 2.0 PRO Posts: 17
    edited October 2020
    Listening to Ken over the years he has convinced me I can learn to sing even at
    My age.
    With out a Doubt my favorite singer
    Started her band in her teens, in 1967
    Her first album over 50 years ago
    Jinx Dawson is over 70 and is still touring
    With her band Coven and I am planning to see her live again After covid.
    Just check out how powerful she is still. M

Jinx live 2018 🤘🖤
    https://youtu.be/zRn2yIZDy_g
    If you're young enough to read this, you are young enough to learn the joy of singing your heart out and living every moment to the fullest!
  • DeltonHedgesDeltonHedges 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    The main concern I have with advancing age (now 75) is remembering lyrics. I find that even when I know them well, under pressure, they may slip. So, to be confident, I have to have hard copies. I try not to 'read', and I make sure the music stand is not in the way of having eye contact with listeners. It's not ideal, but like so many things, compromise and confidence are better than pretense and posing. Still, happy to hear thoughts of any other strategies. AS FOR ALL YOU 'KIDS OUT THERE WHO THINK YOU ARE OLD AT 40....think again. I still don't know what I'm going to do when I grow up!
    Cheers,
    DeltonHedges
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    They’re pretty expensive but maybe a lyric monitor. There’s a guy who shows you how to build one on you tube If you’re good with wood I imagine you could do it for three bills
  • LinaLina 2.0 PRO Posts: 77
    I have a hard time remembering lyrics too. I use an iPad and the software Onsong, but honestly I don't like the fact that I have to read. It takes the spontaneity out of it and also looks unprofessional. Maybe I will look into a lyric monitor so it won't be so obvious.. Any suggestions as to brands?
  • sjonrokz4usjonrokz4u 2.0 PRO Posts: 1,287
    They all appear to be about the same but their about 1000$
  • codeowlcodeowl 2.0 PRO Posts: 305
    edited March 2021
    +1 for OnSong, very cool, especially when learning new songs :wink:
    I discussed it in this thread for those wanting to know more:
    https://forum.kentamplinvocalacademy.com/discussion/comment/84475/#Comment_84475
  • SteveStanSteveStan 2.0 PRO Posts: 81
    edited May 2022
    Actually, it is important to keep training the brain. Besides, lyrics are different from other uses of memory.

I have an elephant's memory and I need that for my work. But I was never good at remembering lyrics at any age. That was partly because I never thought I could sing.

I learned close to ten songs pretty quickly (recently). It is too early for me to sing so I am not pushing forward but it ain't no different than anything else: it seems very hard but as you keep banging on the wall, it begins to collapse :)

As for more advanced age, sure, it will be harder to start but exercising the brain in a variety of ways is extremely important. The people I know who fared really well into their 80s were/are all people who kept their brains challenged (and away from TV!).
  • taes7ttaes7t 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    My mom had a gorgeous voice and sang beautifully from age 5 until the day she died (almost 90!)
    She was also a vocal instructor for 40 years, NATS, taught at university, etc.
    But she and so many other vocal instructors could not teach me how to move smoothly
    through the passaggios. Very long story short--thank you so much Ken Tamplin