Home Recording Techniques and Gear

Does anyone use Smule?

I karaoke on Smule as it has the studio effects I can use on my voice while I do a a few songs, just to see how my voice sounds. I have yet to find an effect though that seems to work with my voice. I got the VIP so I could practice practically any song, but the Studio effect seems to distort my voice. I can alter it some in percentages and with room size (50% reverb, 75% room or something like that). Just wondering if anyone knew any tips or tricks that may help. I'm not willing to shell out for microphone equipment just yet as I'm still learning, but I like to record myself to see how much progress I'm making, if any. Thanks!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Smule is cool, but I haven't had a chance to tool around in it yet, to see how you can modify or adjust the recording settings.
  • TinaErTinaEr Pro Posts: 21
    @Girll12 Hi :) - I'm using Smule. Basically I'm addicted :D I love the platform and it's a great way to practice and try out what you learn. The settings are a bit tricky. It depends a lot on what you use with it. If you use the apple headset the sound quality is pretty good but in some other headsets not so much. You can feel like you sound muffled. I usually sing on either Studio, Super Studio or indie. I find they are the ones with the best sound but there are a lot of opinions on this. Try playing around with the Super Studio setting and also adjust the volume bar there's a golden middle somewhere in there and also take into consideration that the volume and quality of the backing tracks aren't always the same. It can pay off to play around with the settings on different songs. I'd generally not go with a setting as high as 75% unless you're trying to go for a dreamy sound. There's also something to be said for what phone you're using - android tend to have a harder time with Smule but I know they are working on that. Another thing I've noticed is when you do duets -people don't tend to try and adjust their volume to the mix but rather just go with whatever they like and the end result can get a bit funny or they might be overpowering compared to the music. Getting it to sit right is pretty hard (or maybe it's just me lol). If you want to ask anything in regard to Smule, Singtopia on Facabook is a great place to be if you aren't already. By all means come and find me :) I'd love to sing with you :) My sing name is: PinkCarnation82
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I'd like to see this conversation keep rolling. I know we have lots of people from smule here and I think we could have a lot of fun with it.

Bob
    @highmtn I've been on Smule for probably 2,5-3 years now but only started taking this online course 6 months ago or so. Before that I had no training what so ever apart from a year in the church choir in 4th grade :D I would love to sing with other Smulers from here because I'm sure that would help grow my voice too and it would be great fun to do some group songs or duets. I'd like to encourage people to put their Smule sing name in this thread then we could find each other more easily :)
    Good idea. Give it some time and we will probably get some takers.
    what's your smule sing name @blondiewales ? I'd love to duet with you. Sorry it seems I didn't get any notification for this. I realize you wrote quite a while back. :)
  • JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    Hello! I've been using Smule for a few months now.

It's great, you get to hear your progress immediatly.
    I wish I could sing more duets, don't have much time to learn all the songs. I am Joycekia on Smule..
  • PaxilguyPaxilguy Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 1
    I absolutely love smule and use it almost daily but in my very humble opinion I would caution against only using the Smule platform. Smule is like a tiny, tiny, tiny room, it is really just the space between your earbuds. So if you think you have a song really nailed down think again. Singing in Smule is VERY different than singing in a room and even more different than singing in a room or venue with people. Great, great tool but make sure you sing in the real world too.
  • javiercvjaviercv Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 29
    I use Smule if anyone want to sing with me i am __Jay_C__