Home The Singer's Lobby
Options

Does it sound correct?

ThePersonWhoIsSaneThePersonWhoIsSane Member Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in The Singer's Lobby
Hello people, I just wanted to know if it seems like I'm using the right technique in some different aspects of singing. I try and follow everything that I pickup from kens videos and just practice and get it right. I think this song has a lot of different areas that I like to work on like the higher register and distortion and having a smooth transition between everything. Most of this song hovers around my mixed/head voice so I wanted to know if it sounds full and not like I'm straining. I did several takes on all the parts including the distorted parts and my throat never felt in pain and I could do it consistently without losing my voice if that helps. Any tips would be helpful.

(Vocals are doubled up on most of the song to fill it up a little, but one is a lot quieter)

*Warning* Contains naughty language

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Your voice in most of the song sounds fine. The distorted part sounds like you are probably using too much volume, and that could have detrimental effects in the long term. You should be cutting the air way back for any distorted singing.
  • Options
    Should it be even less air than singing clean? I don't practice much with a lot of distortion. I don't use it a lot when I sing, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right when I do. I'm not sure how much the compressor I was using came into play as far as the volume goes but it is definitely louder than when I sing the notes clean.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Yes, you should learn to cut all of the air back. If you're taking Ken's course, he shows you how to do that in Volume 3. First you have to learn all of the basics he teaches you for a foundation, then you add glottal compression whether clean or distorted.
  • Options
    I'm finding it hard to find that happy medium cutting back as much air as I can while allowing the perfect amount to flow through to actually achieve that distorted vocal fry on those notes in the higher register. Could it have something to do with the vowel? Should the modification be different depending on how much distortion you're using? I've been focusing a lot on vowels and cutting back air through that mixed/head register especially in songs like this that tend to hover around that area a lot.