Home Welcome

2017 is here! Welcome to KTVA

tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
Hello Vocalists and aspiring entertainers!

Happy new year to all, 2017 is here and its going to be bigger and better. I am personally not big on new years resolutions but do believe you should always set yourself goals throughout the year, assisting in the bigger dream and vision you have.

So, please share below your goals for the year, whether it's in health, voice, or lifestyle!

Rise above and love,
Tina
www.mystofficial.com

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    One of my goals is to hear more MysT performances!
  • tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
    highmtn said:

One of my goals is to hear more MysT performances!

haha! Me too! :) Its all in the cards
  • ArtickusArtickus 2.0 PRO Posts: 66
    Hello. Happy new year to everyone!

My goals for this year are so simple and straightfoward:

1. Master the Voice.
    2. Walk on the path of the Voice.
    3. Becoming a Monster Vocalist.
    4. Never stop, never back down - work on the voice.
    5. Earning a name for my band.

Nothing less and maybe just a bit more :)

Cheers! \m/_\m/
    Artickus said:

Hello. Happy new year to everyone!

My goals for this year are so simple and straightfoward:

1. Master the Voice.
    2. Walk on the path of the Voice.
    3. Becoming a Monster Vocalist.
    4. Never stop, never back down - work on the voice.
    5. Earning a name for my band.

Nothing less and maybe just a bit more :)

Cheers! \m/_\m/

They are awesome goals @Artickus .A growth mindset is a healthy mindset. Mastering the voice takes years to achieve and is achieved through steps 2-4. Keep at it, keep striving and look after your vocal health and health overall in the process

Good singing to you!

Rise above and love
    Tina
    www.mystofficial.com
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    I started to get paid gigs as a singer last year (2016) which is something I never thought possible. Id obviously like to continue that trend. On a technical level, continue to balance the registers, strength train the registers and gain continued ease of use. I've found Vibrato, Resonance and tuning is a direct result of proper breath support... I guess all vocal technique is now I think about it. I guess I'll just continue to grow.
    I'd like to find my Axl/Brian Johnston/Steve Tyler sound this year. I've dabbled but keep going back to a Paul Rodgers type distortion as that one seems to be more natural for me... Nothing wrong with that but ideally I'd like to do both. I'd also like to get a real handle on 3-4 Sam Cooke tunes and some older Soul and RNB repertoire. I found a guy on YouTube called Joe Retta and saw what was possible with regards to diversity. Frightening talent.
    streeter said:

I started to get paid gigs as a singer last year (2016) which is something I never thought possible. Id obviously like to continue that trend. On a technical level, continue to balance the registers, strength train the registers and gain continued ease of use. I've found Vibrato, Resonance and tuning is a direct result of proper breath support... I guess all vocal technique is now I think about it. I guess I'll just continue to grow.

I'd like to find my Axl/Brian Johnston/Steve Tyler sound this year. I've dabbled but keep going back to a Paul Rodgers type distortion as that one seems to be more natural for me... Nothing wrong with that but ideally I'd like to do both. I'd also like to get a real handle on 3-4 Sam Cooke tunes and some older Soul and RNB repertoire. I found a guy on YouTube called Joe Retta and saw what was possible with regards to diversity. Frightening talent.

That is great to hear @streeter . What I notice the most about your post is this idea of forward thinking or a growth mindset. In order to be the best vocalist you can be you must explore, discover and challenge yourself. I personally find that particular genres of music have stylistic features that make it identifiable to a listener. For example, if you were given a vocal line with no music, what factors of the voice would allow you to categorize the genre as rock, pop, soul, funk, punk, folk, country etc. That is why it is very important to push your boundaries, explore new horizons and be open to learning from a variety of styles. Just a suggestion I found useful when wanting to develop my vocal technique, library and skill.

Good singing to you!

Rise above and love
    Tina
    www.mystofficial.com
  • streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679

streeter said:

That is great to hear @streeter . What I notice the most about your post is this idea of forward thinking or a growth mindset. In order to be the best vocalist you can be you must explore, discover and challenge yourself. I personally find that particular genres of music have stylistic features that make it identifiable to a listener. For example, if you were given a vocal line with no music, what factors of the voice would allow you to categorize the genre as rock, pop, soul, funk, punk, folk, country etc. That is why it is very important to push your boundaries, explore new horizons and be open to learning from a variety of styles. Just a suggestion I found useful when wanting to develop my vocal technique, library and skill.

Good singing to you!

Rise above and love
    Tina
    www.mystofficial.com
    Yes, very much so. I have also found it's also very valuable finding out the history and roots behind whatever artist is currently inspiring us. Finding out their influences, who's licks and melodies they listened to over and over again. Hence, Sam Cooke seemingly being the common thread of 90 percent of my favourite singers.

• ma622ma622 Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 12
    Well I hope you get closer to your goals this year! I literally started a week ago and I hoping to go far with this :D

Hello Tina, my name is Tina and my step dad and step Brother named Ken. Could we be related? lol.
    Oh, back to what I was saying. My goals are to stick with my goals, and that can be tough sometimes, when I want to get lazy. If I do my goals, than I will get done want I want to accomplish. All my goals are on my list that I work on daily.
    Thanks for asking, great question
    Tina

Fantastic work and great name Tina! :) Keep up the great work
    ma622 said:

Well I hope you get closer to your goals this year! I literally started a week ago and I hoping to go far with this :D

You will @ma622 if you have already decided to. All the best!
    Thank you! By the way, I'm now on my second week of volume one and I got a question. I'm not sure if it's the same for dudes and divas, but on my first run through the warm up, should I be switching into my head voice at all, or do I save that for my second time?
    Also sorry for asking you this, I'm just not sure yet on who all the admins are!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @ma622,
    You should always shift into head voice on the lip burbles and the tongue exercises.

After that, you can remain in chest voice for the first pass, and then repeat and allow going into head voice.

Ken wants you to be sure to practice both of those ways, so that neither your bringing into head nor your stretching chest voice will atrophy. So maintain an even balance.
    Okay, but is it bad if I go into my head voice on the first time around that I do the warm up? I'm a tenor 2 and it goes pretty high for me during the warm up, so I cant help but go into my head voice unfortunately :(
    ma622 said:

Okay, but is it bad if I go into my head voice on the first time around that I do the warm up? I'm a tenor 2 and it goes pretty high for me during the warm up, so I cant help but go into my head voice unfortunately :(

In addition to @highmtn , the idea is you want to be able to stretch your chest voice. It is then you can expand your vocal range. It is also important you do it gently to avoid any strain or damage. Once you stretch that chest voice you can then start expanding your head voice. Your voice will grow like crazy!
    Alright, well thanks for the advice you guys, I really appreciate it!!
  • YvonneYvonne Pro Posts: 3
    Hello fellow musicians. I'm new here looking forward to improve my voice.
    Yvonne said:

Hello fellow musicians. I'm new here looking forward to improve my voice.

Fantastic @Yvonne we are glad to have you!
  • lmlimalmlima Pro Posts: 2
    edited June 2017
    Hello everybody
    I'm just starting the course "How to sing better" and I really expect to finally improve my voice.
    In the past, I did believed that to be a good singer people should be born with such gift, but I'm slowly beginning to believe that if I work on it, I can improve my singing skills and become a good singer.
    I hope you guys help me.
    Starting Vol #1
    :smiley:
  • MatsyMatsy Pro Posts: 168
    @lmlima Your vocal cords are controlled by muscles. Just as you can train your muscles in other parts of your body to become more strong, flexible and co-ordinated to achieve amazing things, you can do the same with the muscles that control your voice. It won't come without some serious work though.

I can't wait to hear about your improvements.
  • jrksongmanjrksongman Pro Posts: 6
    I'm struggling with some elements of singing, but I can tell your for certain that Ken's course has strengthened my voice immensely. After only a few weeks, people are beginning to notice a great difference in my vocal power and finesse. Stay with and try to vocalize as many times a week as you safely can. Good luck.
    lmlima said:

Hello everybody
    I'm just starting the course "How to sing better" and I really expect to finally improve my voice.
    In the past, I did believed that to be a good singer people should be born with such gift, but I'm slowly beginning to believe that if I work on it, I can improve my singing skills and become a good singer.
    I hope you guys help me.
    Starting Vol #1
    :smiley:

@lmlima like any muscle or instrument , constant training and practice is needed. A vocalist may have a gift but its useless if they do not explore it. Hard work and passion with foster results

I'm struggling with some elements of singing, but I can tell your for certain that Ken's course has strengthened my voice immensely. After only a few weeks, people are beginning to notice a great difference in my vocal power and finesse. Stay with and try to vocalize as many times a week as you safely can. Good luck.

@jrksongman that is great to hear. Remember, as hard as it can be sometimes, patience is key. Rome was not built in a day. Youll get out what you put in

I want to better my singing, eat healthy and lose weight!

thats great! All is takes is action and persistence :)
  • GypsysingerGypsysinger Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 57
    @tinaalcorace

My goals are to not just learn this method but to actually internalize it within a year. I sing for a living and I need to connect to my song and my audience which I can't really do if I'm thinking (ok now just adjust to that uh placement) lol.

I started the program Aug 10 and I'm on to Vol 3 now so everything is progressing well so far.

It's once I've mastered the techniques in Vol 3 that the true artistry begins and I'll be able to tackle material I always thought you had to be born with "that voice" to sing.

To say I'm excited about this would be a huge understatement. The possibilities that lay before me are massive.

So to all of you who are reading this, work hard, be diligent, listen to your body and soon you will be singing better than you ever thought possible.

All the best!

@tinaalcorace

My goals are to not just learn this method but to actually internalize it within a year. I sing for a living and I need to connect to my song and my audience which I can't really do if I'm thinking (ok now just adjust to that uh placement) lol.

I started the program Aug 10 and I'm on to Vol 3 now so everything is progressing well so far.

It's once I've mastered the techniques in Vol 3 that the true artistry begins and I'll be able to tackle material I always thought you had to be born with "that voice" to sing.

To say I'm excited about this would be a huge understatement. The possibilities that lay before me are massive.

So to all of you who are reading this, work hard, be diligent, listen to your body and soon you will be singing better than you ever thought possible.

All the best!

well put @Gypsysinger . Everything takes time. The more you put in, the more youll get out of it.