Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Practice, Passion and Perseverance - The Perfect Combination

tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
Welcome All KTVA Students,

I would like to share with you an experience of mine I am sure can be relatable to you. We all know as vocalists there are many ups and downs to progression and success. The key phrase we must remember is "failing forward" because with every failure, you are one step closer to success. I have been singing since I was 3, professionally since I was about 12 years old, and hit the music industry scene when I was 16 years old. With every form of criticism, I let it go, took it in, but never allowed it to rise to the surface. It is only recently after a solid hit of criticism that I found myself revisiting every other moment someone had put me down or expressed some form of discouragement of negativity. With a recent opportunity this year, I failed, and the overwhelming feelings that came with that caused a snowball effect. Since that opportunity till the beginning of this month, there was a slow and gradual decline to my self belief. I went from being confident in myself and my abilities, to not feeling confident at all. The psychology of singing and what Ken talks about is very true. Because of the negative talk I had developed, I found it affecting any form of vocal performance or practice. I went from "its okay, ill get there" to "I cant do this". Singing was and has always been all ive ever known and all of a sudden, I started feeling and thinking that singing was no longer a purpose of mine and yet, I still found myself trying. I still held on, never gave up and despite the little confidence, still believe this gift given to me had purpose. With time, conversation and tears I finally reached a breaking point. A point of success! Just when I thought that hope was diminishing, I broke through that wall; I broke through that glass sealing I felt was holding me down. I came to realise it was me! I was holding myself down from all that I could and can achieve. I started to become aware of my negative talk and made the effort to change it everytime. From "I cant do this" to "im gonna get it, maybe not today, but I will". This mentality changed my confidence and through the "failure" I had a breakthrough that has now made me feel unstoppable. Sometimes in life things have to get worse before they get better. In this instance, that is what happened to me. The whole experience reassured me of my passion, I persevered and with practice I am succeeding!

I am happy to share with you all, that despite the downfall and rough couple of months, I am back! With the support of not only my family, Ken Tamplin, my supporters and friends, but supporting and believing in myself!

In a week, I have released FOUR youtube cover videos and now a have a new-found confidence that I feel will carry me all the way. To anyone reading this my advice to you is this: No matter how hard it seems, how impossible it may appear to be, it is possible if you practice, maintain that passion and persevere! Through action you will discover your abilities to the fullest and through failure you will find your success!

If anyone wishes to see the progress and FOUR videos this past week you may do so below

Love on the Brain - Rihanna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH1cH8eRP68

Song Restylin'| Younger Now (Miley Cyrus) in the style of RnB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm8phvhxb-E

Havana - Cemila Cabello with Video Concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVatXYrzvVI

Song Restylin'|"How Long" Charlie Puth (Boogie Style)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwp7qzvQxOY

Unspoken - Original Song Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovkvCAwWXN0

Hot Stuff - Donna Summer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqR7YKHTJys

Good singing to you!
Rise above and love,
Mys T x

Comments

• JoyceJoyce Pro Posts: 131
    Great post! Thank you for sharing!
    I had similar experience, and found that after each self doubt crisis, comes a discovery and some improvement.
    Great singing to you!!
  • tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 209
    Joyce said:

Great post! Thank you for sharing!
    I had similar experience, and found that after each self doubt crisis, comes a discovery and some improvement.
    Great singing to you!!

Thanks @Joyce Same to you!
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    Great advice and something more singers could benefit from if they applied it to themselves. It seems crazy to think that a lot of singers don't consider the psychological aspects, but it's such an integral part of the developmental process and, in my experience, really can make or break your practice.

Thanks for posting this, and for sharing your videos!
    TommyM said:

Great advice and something more singers could benefit from if they applied it to themselves. It seems crazy to think that a lot of singers don't consider the psychological aspects, but it's such an integral part of the developmental process and, in my experience, really can make or break your practice.

Thanks for posting this, and for sharing your videos!

My pleasure @TommyM , thank you for sharing your thoughts. A healthy mind filled with the basic psychological needs of autonomy, relatedness and competence will foster great performance
  • seanjhseanjh Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 7
    edited January 2017
    @tinaalcorace Singing all your life, that is an amazing accomplishment. You are your own proof you've got what it takes, that's what matters most. Thrilled to read your story, and that you're still going strong following your passion! I enjoyed your Skyfall cover on your channel, and the acoustic rehearsal was charming. 

I believe singing is truly a special gift we should share. The act of singing is inspiring to others, and we get to put our mark on whatever we do with it. 

Society focus on success as if its instant or comes naturally... like how Ken talks about the diet pill sing courses. Our 'failures' are what make us successful. As long as we're open to learning and knowing you'll fall down again, when all it takes is get up and keep on pushing. 

The mindset that there is no failure, only feedback (from NLP) can give you a handy lens on life. Trust yourself first, and filter others feedback accordingly. 

How often negativity results relate to people projecting what they lack or desire or have no reason to say other than provoke? When I was younger, my father told me using rasp and singing heavy was a joke and I'd never be good at it. I took it personally at first, but singing like my idols meant the world to me, so instead it helped fuel my desire to sing better until I got the results I hoped for. And to this day, whether he listens or cares for songs I create, doesn't even enter my mind.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to hearing more. :)

Take care,
    Sean
    seanjh said:

@tinaalcorace Singing all your life, that is an amazing accomplishment. You are your own proof you've got what it takes, that's what matters most. Thrilled to read your story, and that you're still going strong following your passion! I enjoyed your Skyfall cover on your channel, and the acoustic rehearsal was charming. 

I believe singing is truly a special gift we should share. The act of singing is inspiring to others, and we get to put our mark on whatever we do with it. 

Society focus on success as if its instant or comes naturally... like how Ken talks about the diet pill sing courses. Our 'failures' are what make us successful. As long as we're open to learning and knowing you'll fall down again, when all it takes is get up and keep on pushing. 

The mindset that there is no failure, only feedback (from NLP) can give you a handy lens on life. Trust yourself first, and filter others feedback accordingly. 

How often negativity results relate to people projecting what they lack or desire or have no reason to say other than provoke? When I was younger, my father told me using rasp and singing heavy was a joke and I'd never be good at it. I took it personally at first, but singing like my idols meant the world to me, so instead it helped fuel my desire to sing better until I got the results I hoped for. And to this day, whether he listens or cares for songs I create, doesn't even enter my mind.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to hearing more. :)

Take care,
    Sean

Thank you @seanjh for your input on this and for taking the time to provide an insightful response. I agree and the art is all about learning...continuous learning, growth and discovery. Its in those moments we discover the gift given to us and how we can use it to impact the lives of others!

Good singing to you

Rise above and love
    Mys T x
  • kringlankringlan Pro Posts: 7
    Great read. Im in much of the same situation loosing the band and being in a completely new setting.

It is always that magic balance between confidence and deep self critisism that makes us grow. We need to be able o put ourselves in the mindset that we know nothing to be able to truly learn and we need to be able to be 100% confident to be able to perform at our best. Sometimes we need to switch in seconds . From A live performance to listen and take in feedback that is so easy to misread as overly critical or even personal.

It is easy to let other people or yourself get you off balance, especially today, with so much happening so fast.

There is only forward.

Take what you do seriously but never take yourself too seriously

TLDR just be the exact opposite of trump.
  • EldiabloramonEldiabloramon Member Posts: 21
    wow that is awesome. you are a really great singer. thanks for sharing about your struggle that helps me in my current situation. i know i am very self conscious about the way i sing. i really like this forum, they seem very helpful and accepting of a person at any stage of learning.
  • BobbyBlueBobbyBlue Pro Posts: 20
    kringlan said:

Great read. Im in much of the same situation loosing the band and being in a completely new setting.

It is always that magic balance between confidence and deep self critisism that makes us grow. We need to be able o put ourselves in the mindset that we know nothing to be able to truly learn and we need to be able to be 100% confident to be able to perform at our best. Sometimes we need to switch in seconds . From A live performance to listen and take in feedback that is so easy to misread as overly critical or even personal.

It is easy to let other people or yourself get you off balance, especially today, with so much happening so fast.

There is only forward.

Where does all this wisdom come from? I can't really think of anything but wow!
    kringlan said:

There is only forward.

Thanks for sharing that @kringlan . Much like any muscle you work out, you have your good days and your bad days but they should never stop progress and success. It takes patience and remembering why you love to sing. Passion.

wow that is awesome. you are a really great singer. thanks for sharing about your struggle that helps me in my current situation. i know i am very self conscious about the way i sing. i really like this forum, they seem very helpful and accepting of a person at any stage of learning.

Hi @Eldiabloramon . Thank you for your kind words and for showing support regarding my current progress and struggles which are ongoing. In a certain sense singing is like riding a bike, the more you practice the more confident you will become, and especially in the music industry you need that inner confidence to assist in tearing apart the constructive, the lies and the truth. However, no matter how much business the music industry may push upon you, put your passion first.
  • KevinGremKevinGrem Pro Posts: 217
    I like your vibrato on the Elvis song. Your voice is really good. What do you plan to do with it?
    KevinGrem said:

I like your vibrato on the Elvis song. Your voice is really good. What do you plan to do with it?

Thanks Kevin for the kind words. These videos are placed on my YouTube channel for people to listen to and hopefully enjoy :)
  • MagusMagus Pro Posts: 28
    You're very skilled and have a very clean voice :smile:
    I've found that the older you get, the more things you discover, and you realize how truly complex many works and artists in this world are, and sometimes you just feel so small because you feel like you can't compare yourself to them. But It's not so much about who is the BEST or has the most complex work, but how can you rock it in your own way that makes it entertaining and fun for people to experience you and your work. Without sacrificing your own enjoyment of course.

I just saw a TED Talk the other day about someone who teaches kids, adults and elders how to draw, very simple and basic cartoon drawings. He asked the crowd full of adults if they could raise a hand if they thought they could draw. About 2-3% raised their hands, but he began instructing them and show how to draw very simple drawings. They all had markers and sheets of paper to copy the ideas he was drawing. The point is that when we get past a certain age, we become very self-aware and criticize ourselves based on what we think OTHER people think about us. Many tend to hold high standards towards themselves and just never dare to even try.

You're a wonderful singer, keep it coming!
    Magus said:

You're very skilled and have a very clean voice :smile:
    I've found that the older you get, the more things you discover, and you realize how truly complex many works and artists in this world are, and sometimes you just feel so small because you feel like you can't compare yourself to them. But It's not so much about who is the BEST or has the most complex work, but how can you rock it in your own way that makes it entertaining and fun for people to experience you and your work. Without sacrificing your own enjoyment of course.

I just saw a TED Talk the other day about someone who teaches kids, adults and elders how to draw, very simple and basic cartoon drawings. He asked the crowd full of adults if they could raise a hand if they thought they could draw. About 2-3% raised their hands, but he began instructing them and show how to draw very simple drawings. They all had markers and sheets of paper to copy the ideas he was drawing. The point is that when we get past a certain age, we become very self-aware and criticize ourselves based on what we think OTHER people think about us. Many tend to hold high standards towards themselves and just never dare to even try.

You're a wonderful singer, keep it coming!

Thank you @magnus , very nicely put. The greatest critics are ourselves and in order to achieve our full potential we must believe we can achieve them.
  • MoftemMoftem Enrolled Posts: 114
    @Magus I saw that TED talk. Even did the drawing. It rekindled my passion for drawing. Good stuff. @Tinaalcorace I am glad you're sharing your voice with the world. @Kringlan those are wise words indeed. I will remember the balance between confidence and constructive self-criticism.
  • catherinehillcatherinehill Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2018
    Thanks for this post! It is really great! where have you bought this timber ridge zero gravity chair from your room?