Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Singing Original Songs - HELP WITH PITCH

Hey KTVA crew! (first post :D)

I've been doing the course and have looked around the forums for a while now (on and off but I've been learning to sing for a straight year now and am starting to get it all - support, open throat, resonance etc) however I still struggle with pitch. Now I do have relative pitch, I can hear when I am flat or sharp and I can hit target notes pretty well, it's more of the middle notes in the melody I sometimes miss. I have started the Basic Pitch program to correct this.

But here is my question. I am looking to actually make a career out of music and songwriting and I've had trouble singing/recording my own songs that I have written. I have the instrumentals down pat but when I go to sing vocals I just don't know how to pitch them. I've figured that it's because I don't have a prerequisite or GUIDE to follow as no one else as sung these songs before. You look at artists like Ed Sheeran for example and he just has close to perfect pitch live even when he changes the style of a song or one of his demos etc with not having to think about it too much. Is this something that I will develop over time as I grow my voice and correct some pitch issues or is there more of a practical part of songwriting like writing the melody you want to sing with a piano or guitar first then trying to match it?

Thanks guys! :)

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,358
    If you are singing the standard exercises spot-on with regards to pitch, you shouldn't really have any pitch issues. If the exercises are not spot-on, then more listening skills and pitch-matching skills may be in order.

Sometimes students sing the scales on-pitch for the first, last, and top notes and just kind of slur through all of the intermediate notes. That almost sounds like what you are describing.

It may be that you need to work through, line-by line, note-by-note to make sure you're spot-on, all the time. Even though these may be your own songs, they need a defined, concise melody, even if you take some liberties with it. If you're not clear on what you want the melody to be, then how are you going to sing it consistently and accurately?

Your audiences will want to get the feeling that you know where you're going on these songs. They'll be looking to you to show them that.